Strange Brush Behaviour (Using Wacom)

Hi,

I just bought toon boom studio 3.5 and am having trouble drawing into the drawing view. For some reason when I use my wacom stylus pen the line apears to the left of the actual cursor. How far to left left appears to depend on how far right the cursor is (the line gets further away). I’m used to using toon boom harmony in work and the various problems there…but I have not experienced anything like this before.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks.

- Dave

You have to set you tablet operation to Pen Mode. This is in the Tablet controls, which on my computer is in Start/All Programs.

I had a look and it already is in Pen Mode. The wacom works in photoshop fine…by the way, and in windows vista generally. IT seems that Toon Boom is the only program having this problem.

Hi Dave,

You might also want to try one of those solutions to fix the situation:

http://www.toonboom.com/support/tbs/kb/questions/9/Changing-tablet-cause-tablet-to-stop-working-properly-in-Toom-Boom-Studio

If it still doesn’t work let us know.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wacom driver (with a reboot in between) but it hasn’t seemed to work. I still have the same problem.

Also, I’m not sure if this is a symptom of the same problem but I’ve noticed that when I draw, the line appears a split second after I’ve started drawing. Which could be off-putting.

Could this be anything to do with the graphics card/drivers? I’m running the ATI Catalyst 7.3 drivers on my Vista machine.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

I am not sure this is related to the ATI Catalyst drivers but in any case you should be using Direct3D as a renderer (Edit>Preferences>Display tab>Change Renderer to Direct3D instead of OpenGL). This should be addressing the slowdowns.

Also, would it be possible to know which version of the drivers you have downloaded and which model of Wacom you are using?

Thank you,

Ugo

I’m using a Wacom intuos 2 a4 oversize with the 6.00-5 drivers. The newest ones I know of, downloaded from the wacom website.

Hi Dave,

There are actually newer drivers available (6.02-1). You should be able to find them on Wacom’s website http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/select.cfm.

Make sure to uninstall the drivers and reboot your machine before installing the new versions to avoid any issue.

Best regards,

Ugo

Heya, I’ve downloaded the new drivers and they seem to have fixed the problem of some lagging lines. HOwever the main issue of drawing to the left of the cursor is still there.

I have two monitors that I didnt think to mention earlier, but I read somewhere that that may have something to do with it. Is that true? I couldn’t see how the number of monitors should make a difference.

Thanks

I’ve got the same offset problem. I’m using an ATI Radeon, Intuos 3, Win XP, 2 monitors.
The offset occurs most noticeably when I draw on the right half of the Draw window - where the line appears in the left half of the Draw window. If I start to draw a line on the far left of the Draw window and draw horizontally across the line tracks with the pen correctly across the window even into the right side of the Draw window.
My work around is to turn off the second monitor.

Yeah, I think that’s what I read in another forum. But there must be a way to keep the second monitor. It seems silly to have to keep turning off the monitor everytime you need to use toon boom

heya, I’ve tried turning off my second monitor and it does fix the problem strangely enough.

THe only thing is it’s for program like Photoshop, FLash and Toon Boom that I have two monitor in the first place.

Is there any way of fixing this without having to turn off my monitor all the time?

Thanks

you have to go into either the control panel or desktop properties (right click an open area), I forget which, but one of those has the settings for 2 monitors. I believe you want this set to “horizontal span” for toon boom to work properly with it. Try a search on these forums though, there are several threads about just that issue.

I don’t use a 2 display setup for the Windows version although I do use a two display setup on the Mac version. Unfortunately they are different OS and so the setups are not comparable. But, the Wacom tablets do allow for application specific set ups and you can “map” your Wacom to different screen configurations in the Wacom setup preferences. I suggest that you investigate a TBS application specific setup and that you “map” your tablet to a reduced section of screen real-estate, “one display” which should greatly reduce your dual monitor conflict. You may even be able to map the Wacom mouse differently from the pen. Otherwise you can use a regular mouse for dual screen navigation and just use the pen for your reduced screen map. I hope this will give you some additional ideas. -JK

Hi,

Have you actually tried to reinstall the drivers after setting your monitor settings. You might get this kind of behavior when you change your screen resolution and the dual screen setup usually alters the resolution.

As previously mentioned make sure to completely uninstall the previous driver, reboot (very important) and launch the install while you have the proper screen setup.

Best regards,

Ugo

I’ve found that, like a few people have suggested, that turning off one screen fixes the problem. which leads me to believe setting my monitors to horizontal span mode may fix the problem while enabling me to keep the dual monitor setup. Now if only ATI would get horizontal span support for vista. I guess I’ll just have to turn off one monitor and wait and see.

I also have the same problem, but this is using a single monitor and NVIDIA GeForce 6800. I am using XP. It seems like there is some kind of invisible border where the wacom tablet starts to function like a mouse instead of a pen, on the far right of the canvas. While in mouse mode, the offset effect is gone aswell as the preassure sensitivity. While in Pen mode, the pen gets more offset the further away from the upper left corner.

I have tried most things, but nothing seems to work.

That sounds exactly the same to my problem…I still haven’t foudn a solution. I’m going to download Toon Boom again to see if a new build is up.

I’m at a very loose end. After exploring all avenues I can think of I’ve only managed to fix it by turning off the second sceen.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my Wacom Cintiq, there is a solution?

Thanks.

-Alex

Somehow your post is showing up in the middle of this 7 year old thread.

What are the specs on your system?

Platform?
Hardware?
OS and Toon Boom Versions?
How many monitors?