Stacked layers in peg animations, how to make one appear above another?

Hi guys
I’m currently teaching myself to use Toon Boom, so sorry if this is a rather mundane question but I haven’t been able to figure this out for a little while now.

I’m learning about animating with pegs and have the general principles worked out, the way you can stack layers inside one another so that moving one in turn moves others with it.

The thing I’m stuck on is how to make a layer appear above the layer it’s stacked inside of. (sorry if my terminology is all wrong, I’m not 100% certain of what the technical terms used in Harmony are just yet)

As an example, I’ve made an arm in three parts. The bicep, the forearm and the hand.
So at the top is the bicep, then the forearm and then the hand. So the hand moves freely, the forearm also moves the hand and the bicep moves the forearm and the hand.
But I want the hand to visually appear ABOVE the forearm.

I haven’t been able to find any shortcut that equate to “bring to front” or anything of the sort, so I would really appreciate it if somebody can help me out with this!

I’ve attached a screenshot incase my strained explanation didn’t quite work

Which version of Harmony are you using? If you are using Premium you can adjust it in the network view by moving the wire of the hand node in front of the forearm wire where they are plugged into the composite.

If you are using a version without the network view you will need to adjust the z depth in the timeline or in the camera view.

Timeline: Click on the + icon next on your hand layer in the timeline and change the value of the z depth from 0.000 to +0.001 (or more if you need to).

Camera View: Use the shortcut alt and the down arrow (I’m on a mac) and that will nudge the item forward. Alt and the up arrow moves it backwards. You may have to do it a few times to get it to appear in front.

Z depth is the way to go when you want to move body parts back and forth because it will create a keyframe. Also, (just a tip) looking at your timeline you’re not using pegs. I would suggest attaching all drawings to their own pegs.

Good luck!

Hey DessieX, I do think it is a good thing to learn how to use the drawings and arrange them in a hierarchy and animate them without pegs at first. Then when you move on to Pegs you can see the advantages.

odddino imagine if you go on to have multiple hand drawings for your creature. Say a closed fist, holding a weapon, etc. If you use Pegs then the trajectory animation will be on the Peg layer and isolated (and protected in a way) while the drawing exposures will be nice and clean on that hand layer. It is easier to do drawing substitutions and change the exposure of drawings with it being less cluttered.

My experience with 3D and Compositing apps really helped in understanding Pegs, as I just saw them as Null Objects. I love the fact that I can animate with Pegs and detach them and not lose the animated data. Say you take a drawing of a drone and then attach it to a peg and animate the peg to where the drone flies across the scene.

Then say this drone hits a tree branch, well, add another peg under the Master Peg and just animate the rotation, scale, to make it wobble. I can disable the Master-Peg, and just concentrate on making this wobble or jitter. I can detach this Jitter Peg and add another and try again. I can make three different Jitter Pegs and try each out by inserting it between the Master Peg and the Drone drawing. I can pick the best one and this allows great flexibility and experimentation. I can even apply this Jitter Peg to another drawing object. Just very powerful stuff.

I agree scungyho, it’s easier until you get your head around it. I guess I’m just remembering when I started and rigged a character without pegs, and then when animating ran into lots of problems. I then had to re-rig with pegs and start over to get the result I wanted. Just a suggestion though, not everyone uses pegs.