SSD needed?

I recently purchased an HP Envy 17desktop, with an Intel Core i7 CPU, Q720, @1.60 Ghz 1.6 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system, Disk Data transfer rate is 5.9

While building a complex scene, the more details I put into it, the slower it became until it was taking several seconds, sometimes minutes to add even a tiny change. I talked with some computer stores and they suggested changing my HD to a Solid State Drive, but this is going to be expensive (about US$1,500 for a 512 GB SSD, and if I double it, then double the price). They said this would make it much faster. Before investing in this, is this true? Would an SSD make it that much faster? They said it would boost the Disk Data Transfer rate to about 7.4 out of a possible 7.9. Or is there something else I should change?

Thanks much for your help.
Sincerely,
Phil

I do not believe that in this case, changing the hard drive will make the application run any faster. It will be faster to load and save projects however.

Something you can look into is to make sure you have a good video card and that the drivers are up to date.

Also try switching renderer types in the Display tab of the preferences to/from opengl and direct 3d. Different cards are faster on different types.

i have a slower system than the one you have but i manage to speed up a complex scene by flattening a scene.

first select all (ctrl + A) then go to Tools then click Flatten

http://paperlessanimation.blogspot.com

This is to
Bryan - just read your post now - almost 6 months after you posted it! Sorry for delay, but wanted to thank you for passing on your tip. I’ll try it. Thanks again, Phil