Sound import problem

When I import a sound in AIFF or WAV format, the waveform shown on the Timeline is a flat line and there is no sound during playback in Animate. The “Enable Sound” option is checked in the Play menu. If I use MP3 format, it works fine. Why don’t AIFF or WAV work?

I can play the AIFF and WAV sounds in other programs (Quicktime player, for example) with no trouble. I can even preview the sound in the import dialog box and it sounds fine.

I’m running Animate on OS X 10.5.6.

Hi,

It might actually be something in the compression of the file itself. Would it be possible to provide us a sample file so we could analyze this here?

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks. I just emailed the problem file to you.

Aha! Figured it out. In the audio editor I’m using (Soundtrack Pro), the mixer was set for 5.1 surround sound (which I didn’t realize), so the AIFF and WAV files it exported included too many channels for Animate to handle (apparently). MP3 only supports stereo, so that was why it worked okay with that format. When I change my audio project to two channels (stereo) and export AIFF or WAV, I can import into Animate properly.

By the way, the email I sent to you with the file bounced back because the email link to the left of your message above has a bad address: “ugo@toonbom.com”. You may want to fix that…

Hi,

Not quite sure happened but the e-mail you sent your message to is the correct one. It might be that the attachment file was too big so our mailing server bounced the mail.

Regards,

Ugo

But shouldn’t the domain be “toonboom.com” and not “toonbom.com”? The bounced message said the error was “DNS Error: Could not contact DNS servers”.

Check out the status line at the bottom of this screen snap:

http://www.marksimonson.com/thebom.jpg

Hi,

Very odd, for some reason when I do this from the forum it does not process the e-mail although if you copy the same e-mail in your mailing client and send the e-mail manually the mail should go through. In any case I will report this to the webmaster but in the meantime if you ever need to contact us send the e-mail to techsupport@toonboom.com.

Regards,

Ugo