Some buy doubts...

HI! I’ve always interested about this SO promising app but it was not under my, always too, limited budget… Well, I’ve discovered just now that a new “not” Pro version have been launched and with an offer for only 199$ until 29 July, WoW! It makes me happy cause now exist a posibility :), although… well, it make me doubt a lot too (that is normal thing talking about me ::)) and now I’m downloading all the demos and info with I’ll be up to date about the features and differences very soon, so for now my douts are more relationated about the buy and shipping issues…

The first, I live in Spain so… if I buy it directly here by Toon Boom web page, what must I know about all this? I mean, I have “simulated” the buy and finally there is not an extra shiping costs? Or am I misunderstunding (that would be a very normal thing too :P) something?

The second one, what about if then I decide (that could be very probable) upgrade to TB Storyboard Pro? I’ve not be able to find any special price for this situation so I’ll be grateful for any clue…

Well, and now that I’m reading more about the differences about the Pro and the not Pro… hmmm, it seems that there is not too much animation features in the first, is it? And even it seems that it can’t import audio files :frowning: …Well, someone that have experimenting with all this could express his oppinion about all that? Do you think it really worth?? Or you’ll wait to buy the pro version some day in an unknow (but surelly distant) future… Well, I know this last it simply depends and I’ll try to answer some of this doubts be myself as far as I can, but THANK YOU very much in advance for/if some help, BYE! :-*

I just received email regarding the introduction of the NEW “non pro” TB Storyboard. I have not yet downloaded the trial version but intend to do so soon. I’ve read through the feature set and have some inital concerns.

It looks as though the tool set includes most everything needed to make a decent storyboard with several NOTIBLE exceptions. First not being able to lay down a sound track. Without this feature it makes timing rather dificult. The idea of a storyboard is not only to create a story, like a “script”, but also to create the stories timing. Some timing can be done sans sound, but other scenes / shots need to use the sound to create and perfect the timing.

My other concern regards lack of export into ToonBoom Studio. The big advantage of using a computerized version of a storyboard is to reuse the assets in other software.

My though on how to use Storyboard would be to create a storyboard/animatic, import this into TBS then refine the various elements. Without the ability to move from “Storyboard” into “Studio” I can’t take advantage of what I’ve already done in Storyboard except to print it out, create a QT movie of the storyboard or have both programs open at once? Perhaps I’m missing something on how “Storyboard” works, but the feature set doesn’t seem to indicate export into “Studio”.

Even at the price of $199 it may not have enough integration with the other ToonBoom applications to make it a truely valuable tool. I’ll give it a try, see what I think, and try to get back to this forum once I have a hands on trial.

I have tested Storyboard pro last month and thought it would be an excellent investment at a special price. This new storyboard software without the animatic capability is really nothing you can’t get by just using a pen and paper. Having a storyboard page format and script importing capabilities really aren’t that difficult to come by in other means.
Here is what I think Toon Boom should aim for: a non-pro version that is compatible with Toon Boom Studio.
Right now Storyboard Pro is compatible with Solo and Harmony, the high-end production tools, not with Studio.
A version that has the same functions but geared only to Toon Boom Studio is required as it would be more realistic for home users and the restrictions to use only with Toon Boom Studio would be enough that it would not compete with higher end production tools.
And thus you can bring the price down for the artists who are not part of a big studio or corporation.

I’ve given Storyboard a couple of hours of time and it’s not bad. It has a familiar set of drawing tools, layers and some camera control, so you have the ability to create a good, instructive storyboard. Now the bad news, once you have the storyboard complete there’s no way to incorporate it into Studio. You can print out or save the storyboard to a PDF but that’s it. From a practical standpoint, Storyboard moves the process from Paper to the computer and that’s as far as it goes.

The problem with Storyboard, is Storyboard Pro. The features that would make Storyboard really work well for animation in Studio, are only in Storyboard Pro. I think there’s a solution and that’s to have three versions of Storyboard: Basic (as it is), Pro (also as is), and a new version, Studio Storyboard Plug-in.

The Pro version of Storyboard can be dedicated to higher end use in Solo and Harmony. Storyboard-Plugin would be dedicated to Studio use and Storyboard Basic would be for any other uses.

Studio Storyboard plug-in would have additional features like sound track, full animatic capability and the ability to move between the Storyboard module and Studio. This would allow carrying over assets. The Plug-in would only work inside of Studio as an added module and give a clear separation in the versions of Storyboard. In order to take advantage of the additional Plug-in features you would have to own Studio. Users can have all the functionality they need and not be underpowered or overpowered. Studio would have all the storyboarding features to make the process complete and integrated.

Hi, I’ve purchased Storyboard Pro and have my product code but i cant see my download link for this product. Checked my email and Members\My Product, there is only product code ???