Skill level?

I am looking at creating cartoons, just for some kicks for some laughs. But was wondering if their is any art skills needed with toon Boom programs. I just want a simple program where I can create simple characters. Not that detailed, and was wondering the skill level it takes to work with any toon boom program?

I don’t think that your drawing skill have level matters as much your computer skill level. I am not very good at drawing, so it may take me a little longer to get my characters to look good. I use a wacom tablet to sketch them and then fix them up with some post editing. The program itself takes a little longer to learn than some other programs I have used, but once you get them down it’s not that bad. There is a lot to Toon Boom, so be warned that it does take a while to get used to it all.

I agree with gimp_stick and would add that it depends on what you mean by “not that detailed”. South Park type characters are possible, even with a mouse since they’re just circles and rectangles. Toon Boom would be great for this.

More detailed characters likely would need some artistic ability.

I agree with everything everyone else said so far. If I were you, I would maybe make use of some of Studio’s ready made character templates, just to practice with the animating aspect and get yourself familar with how to create keyframes and non constants segments and all that stuff. And in the meantime, while you’re getting comfortable with that, you could be practicing your drawing skills for when it comes time to design your own characters and rigging them, in case you decide at some point that you want to add a little more detail to them. Also, I would highly recommend saving the different user guides on your comp because they do a good job of explaining terms you might not understand at the starting level.