Shortcut keys without using Alt?

I am considering switching to Toon Boom from Flash and am hoping to get the same set of shortcut keys. I see there is a default set that uses ALT+whatever key is normally used in Flash, which is a start, but the addition of ALT makes it quite awkward. I tried changing the brush tool to just B, but that doesn’t work as the program interprets it as a capital B, which means I have to press SHIFT+b (not an improvement). What I’m looking for is the same, simple, one key shortcuts I use in Flash. Am I missing something? Is there a way to reset these so that I don’t have to press two keys every single time I want to change tools?

You should be able to set it in the Preferences. Go to Edit > Preferences > Shortcut tab. In the Drawing category, locate the Brush Tool (general). Now you should see that this is set to Alt-B (B) by default. Basically what it’s set to by default is that if you press and hold B, then you can temporarily draw with the brush tool without losing your previous tool selection. Then you can hit Alt-B to select the Brush tool permanently.

If you click the button where you can assign the key, then hit B, then hit replace (not duplicate), then what it should do is override the previous shortcut so that now when you hit B, it’s no longer a temporary brush selection, it’s a complete brush selection. However then you lose the functionality of being able to temporarily select the brush.

I hope this helps.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

Thanks for responding so quickly, Lilly. Your reply makes perfect sense, but for whatever reason, it’s not working. I’ve reset the shortcut key as you instructed (in the column under Shortcut the brush reads “B” and the eraser reads “E”), but the tool still does not switch. I tried closing and restarting the program to see if that was the reason it was not taking effect (and double checked the preferences to make sure my change was still there). Is there something else I need to do? Do I also need to change the default somehow?

I wonder if it’s possible that somehow along the process you clicked “Duplicate” instead of “Replace”, and then you could have created a problem. Try to click the button at the bottom of the page that says “Restore Defaults” and then do the button assign again. Also, there are two entries for Brush - “Brush Tool” and “Brush Tool (General)”. Make sure that you’re replacing the one that already has an entry on it.

Give that a go and let me know if it still doesn’t work.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

That solved it. I think I hit Duplicate before I posted here for help. That must have been why it was not working for me before. Thanks Lilly!

You’re welcome - glad it’s working!

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

The problem with Replace is that B is also used in the node view to navigate through the hierarchy.
So you end up breaking the configuration of other editors by hitting Replace.
Is it another way?