Setting rotational pivot points

I must be blind as a bat because no one else seems to have this problem! I don’t understand the actual steps needed to set rotational pivot points in the various segments.

Following a tutorial, I have my various segments in a composite picture and have moved to the Camera View. The tutorial then shows a bounding box with the rotational pivot point set but no instructions how this was done.

I’ve tried using the Select Tool to create a bounding box and then going to Tools>Sceneplanning>Rotate but the bounding box disappears and the most I can ever see is a pivot point so I can rotate the whole picture. I haven’t been able to make the Rotate Tool on the left side work either and don’t see any other options.

What steps do you use to set these various rotational pivot points?

Hi.
Basically, in sceneplanning view, with the rotation tool selected click on the item to which it must set the rotation pivot permanent (green), move the green pivot by dragging it to where the element must rotate. If you move the black box on the green circle will turn the item.
To animate, with the selection tool, you can rotate or transform the element with center of rotation fixed in place. Use the same procedure on all elements. You must also read about using the editor functions. I hope it helps. Yoryo

Some quick basics seem in order.

First every tool in the Scene Operations palette has a specific purpose. And it is very significant which tool you have actively selected when you perform an operation in Toon Boom. It is a kind of unique concept but you need to know that each of the tools on that palette is both a “switch” that controls what can or will be done and it is also a “manipulation” tool.

All of the tools on the scene operations palette are used for keyframe setting except for the SELECT tool (6). The SELECT tool is only used for pre-animation set-ups for an entire element and never actual frame level animation. Using the SELECT tool after you start animating is disastrous. It is guaranteed to make you crazy and will ruin hours of work.

The ROTATE, SKEW, and SCALE tools are normally only used for setting pivot points for their respective types of actions and to limit which keyframe types are copied, pasted, deleted etc. It is not usual to use any of those tools for actual animating.

Normally all keyframe animating is done exclusively with the TRANSFORM tool (7). The other tools are primarily set-up tools and selective filters (keep reading).

To choose a specific element to manipulate using a scene operations tool, you have two options. You can choose the object in the “camera” view panel directly usually by clicking on it or dragging a marquee around it to enclose it in a bounding box. Or, you can choose an object by clicking on its labeled track in the timeline panel. The object will then show in the camera view panel bounded by the currently active tool in your scene tools palette. Each tools bounding box is unique looking so you will learn which is which from trying each of them in turn.

So in answer to your question to choose an element and set its rotational pivot you would first choose the ROTATION tool (8) in the scene operations tool palette and then you would click on the desired element’s timeline track label. You will see that the desired object is now chosen in camera view and you can drag the green rotational piviot point to your desired chosen location based on where you think it is best placed. You only do this once and never change this green pivot points location after you actually start animating.

From that point on you will not use the ROTATION tool (8) again in this scene for that specific element except for the follow reasons. (1) you only want to copy or delete or paste just a rotation keyframe without copying, pasting or deleting any other types of keyframes (location, scale, skew etc) for a specific frame in your timeline. So it acts as a filter for those actions. (2) You want to toggle on or off a non-constant segment just between your rotation keyframes and not effect the segments between any other types of keyframes (location, scale, skew etc). Again it filters the action of setting the type of connecting segment. You can take everything I just wrote and replace the SCALE and SKEW tools for the ROTATION tool.

SCALE sets the location of the scaling pivot. SKEW sets the location of the skewing pivot. (Note you can’t have different skew and rotation pivot locations on the same peg, you would need to use multiple pegs if you want to have them set differently) And as stated above SCALE filters actions just to scaling keyframes and SKEW filters just to skewing keyframes.

TRANSFORM is universal and doesn’t filter anything which is why it is the main animating tool for keyframing.

Sorry to be so long winded but these are super important concepts I know you will want to wrap your head around. I’m always glad to help and I hope you are using my tutorials from the Cartooning in Toon Boom blog in addition to whatever other tutorials you are using. -JK

If you are “JK” who created the Pick Panther tutorial, I certainly did use you assistance! It was excellent but I didn’t know what to do once you got to the rotational pivot points of each element. I just couldn’t figure out what steps were taken to make the pivot point show up in each element. I switched to Camera View and thought you wanted me to use the composite picture but I didn’t know if you were on Exposure tab or Timeline tab. I could select his arm from the composite element in picture view but the Sceneplanning Rotate Tool wouldn’t work unless I was back in Camera view. In camera view, I couldn’t select the am from the composite element.

However, the element where I just have his arm–I was able to make it rotate but I haven’t figured out how to get it or any element into a peg or onto a timeline track. The manual has you dragging the “Camera” timeline track element up to the parent peg but I don’t see how you “connect” the pegs on the time line track to the element itself. I don’t have different element names on my timeline tracks. I do have “Drawing” on a time line track and I can click on it and see the drawing and move from one element to the next.

Glad you are trying to follow the tutorials. I have a current tutorial posted and I really suggest that you jump over to it. It will in detail hopefully clear up a lot of your questions. The Panther tutorial will be much easier to understand after your work thru this more recent one. Thanks for the feedback, I learn how to improve my tutorials from hearing back from my readers so your input is greatly appreciated.-JK

Toon Boom Basics Part 1

Thanks for the new tutorial. I’ll check it out right now!

I want to clarify that where I said “to animate” should read “to pre-compose.” Transform tool is the main tool to animate. " JK has provided a masterly response. Thanks JK. Yoryo