Seems like a silly question, but how do I preview my animation?

This question almost seems too stupid to ask. I’ve been using Animate for a little over a week now. I’ve watched the beginner tutorials and am working my way up.

My problem is the play button in the upper toolbar. When I’ve arranged all my frames and want to play them back to see if they’re too fast or slow, I want to click the play button to get a rough idea of how my motion looks.

However, when I click the play button, it plays and I can see it cycling through the frames, but there’s no actual playback of my drawings.

I’ve also tried the render and play function, but that just brings up a black screen. The “test SWF movie” function works, but it’s a bit of a pain and the playback isn’t very intuitive.

Again, I feel like the answer must be staring me in the face, but can anyone explain to me why the playback isn’t showing anything?

Thanks so much!

Hi thechrishurst

Go to top menu - Play -Play. You can also press the play button in the play toolbar.
To see keyframed animation, make sure you are in the camera view .
For the render, first add a colorcard by press/hold the big + on top of the timelines left compartment, choose Colorcard. To get rid of the squares just click elsewhere to deselect it.

Best regards
Ivar

Well, I feel a little dumb in restrospect, but you hit the nail on the head. This whole time I was trying to play it back in drawing mode. Thanks so much for your help!