Script writing in Harmony

How do you even get started with this? I’ve looked at the scripting guide but it looks to be written for programers.
Is the scripting language based on some common programming language that there are books for?

Thanks

there are some scripting tutorials on my youtube channel destinededucation

I’m looking for something all encompassing. That assumes the person has zero programming knowledge and starts at the very beginning and also covers every aspect of the scripting language.

I could use one of these too! I can modify an existing script a little- but trying to make on from scratch is mind boggling.
I just want to automate switching pegs from 3D paths to Seperate paths - no idea where to start >.<

The ones on my channel do start from scratch!

I might do another one on automatic setting up of cameras for steroscopic use

Maybe this script will help you

// start script
function separate_on ()
{
for (var sel_index = 0 ; sel_index < selection.numberOfNodesSelected(); sel_index++)
{
var node_name = selection.selectedNode( sel_index );
print( “—” );//Use these Print to see the action done in a shell
print( node.getTextAttr( node_name, 1, “POSITION.SEPARATE” ) ); //Use these Print to see the action done in a shell
node.setTextAttr( node_name, “POSITION.SEPARATE”, 1, “Y” );
print( node.getTextAttr( node_name, 1, “POSITION.SEPARATE” ) ); //Use these Print to see the action done in a shel
}
}
// end script

brilliant!! I have to learn how to do this stuff.

A wonderful member on these forums forwarded me an Illustrator script to export pdf files of individual layers out of Illustrator. I am able to open them in the library and with their original layer names intact. After I have them open in the library is there a Harmony 10 script that will take the new tvg file names and copy them to the clipboard, paste the tvgl files into a new timeline drawing layer, paste in name from clipboard, and then save them as a symbol? I would need to set the subs up for a symbol as I like to swab symbol subs in the timeline. I could try writing this script in Harmony, but since I don’t know how. Maybe someone has done this already? Or does anyone know if this is a possible script in Harmony?

I checked out your destinededucation youtube channel and I couldn’t find any videos on writing scripts in Harmony. According to Lilly with Toon Boom on another thread.:

Re:SCRIPT EDITOR QSA Work Bench?
The scripting has changed from Animate Pro to Harmony. We used to use .qsa files, and now we use .js If you email support, they can have the relevant script converted for you. It may already be in the application, but they can check.

~Lilly

Lilly is apparently offering to convert Animate Pro .qsa scripts to JavaScript to be used in Harmony? Which means to me it might be better to learn JavaScript to use with Harmony then learning or building in .qsa?

BTW? A wonderful member on these forums forwarded me an Illustrator script to export pdf files of individual layers out of Illustrator. I am able to open them in the library and with their original layer names intact. After I have them open in the library is there a Harmony 10 script that will take the new tvg file names and copy them to the clipboard, paste the tvgl files into a new timeline drawing layer, paste in name from clipboard, and then save them as a symbol? I would need to set the subs up for a symbol as I like to swab symbol subs in the timeline. I could try writing this script in Harmony, but since I don’t know how. Maybe someone has done this already? Or does anyone know if this is a possible script in Harmony?

That’s good news if Harmony uses JS. I couldn’t find anything on the net about .qsa.

Thanks

I will try to a js one, although I need to check if my version of harmony supports it because I am on 9.2 and I have no plans to upgrade.

I appreciate whatever you can do. I have been on Lynda.com and elsewhere studying some JavaScript. It seems like it would be a while before I am at the required level for this. And all of the information I have found is on writing JS for websites. I have hundreds of .pdf files to make into symbols and bring into the Harmony timeline. If this being scripted is even possible(?), it would save me days over doing this task manually.

Javascript comes in many flavours, so while they are similar they often have differences.

As for if it is possible, i would advise email support directly, if you are super lucky they might even do it for you!

Another member here sent me a link to a script they wrote called MultiExporter. It exports Illustrator layers as individual pdf’s which I can bring into the Harmony Library. This was a huge relief for me. Now I want to bring all these pdfs that MultiExporter makes into the Harmony timeline as symbols. Its currently really time consuming. I sent Francois my new script request. They are creating a script for me to make the .tpl files into the timeline. Its currently not possible to access them in the library with a JavaScript. Francois is editing the program. Thanks