Scene Length Rule of Thumb?

When I worked in Flash when I first started animating, I used to make a new “scene” when I needed organization. I know with Toon Boom, and even Flash, it’s good to separate scenes to keep file sizes down.

But what is a good interval to do this at? Every shot? After certain amount of time? Breaks in the story? Or is it up to the animator’s preference?

Animators preference. However when you start to have thousands of frames you really should start thinking about breaking it up.

I have seen people run scenes with like 10K frames but support suggests you will run into stablity issues with that many.

the largest i worked with was a little over 9000 frames. i had to do this because the whole animation ran over one background, and this background was composed of several layers which had several effects on them, these effects varied throughout the scene in value and radius etc. for instance i had to change the blur of that background in a close up shot of my character then set it back. it’s probable that there was a simpler way of doing this but i just didn’t know what it was, i am sort of new to Animate and still consulting the user guide frequently.

what i am saying is, unless there is a compelling reason, i would as the TheRaider said, try to keep my scenes as short as possible because you do then encounter some irregularities and error messages.

btw, when i was working on that project, that’s when i realized that 16K is the longest scene my Animate can accommodate.

You can still break up a long scene like that by just chopping at one point and bring the last frame in into a new scene. Then in your compositor you just join them and it makes a full scene.

To Chakra-X
Take a look at any movie or TV show, animated or live action. Watch how the sequences are edited. Time the scenes yourself with a stop watch. Timing depends on the pacing of the sequence. If its a lot of dialog, try breaking it up to keep it interesting. Usually a scene will end at the end of someone’s line, but you can shorten the scene and overlap the dialog onto the next scene as a voice over with a reaction shot. Or lengthen it to have that character talking do some acting, like go into a “Who me?” pose, for example.

You should pick up this book, or something similar.
http://www.amazon.com/Directing-Story-Professional-Storytelling-Storyboarding/dp/0240810767/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318413134&sr=8-1

I have been wondering this myself. I could not find anything about this so I decided to look at professional animations like Disney’s 101 Dalmatians and Robin Hood. I also looked at Looney Toons and as very surprised. I found that most use a 3 to 5 second time per scene At 24 fps this is 72 to 120 frames. This is very manageable. Some scenes are longer and some are shorter. I think that the voice can place on the scene and adjusted to size. Keep your scenes as short as possible. I attempted animation at thousands of frames. The computer locked up and when using bones it would not run at all.

Keep the scenes short, sure, but it depends on the tempo you want to give. As any good editor knows you control the feeling of your movie by the pace of the cuts also.

Usually it’s good to break scenes up for different shots. Sometimes the dialogue does go over a sequence of shots, though. To truly have a seamless pipeline, the easiest way is to plan it first with Storyboard Pro, and add your audio there. Then when you export to Animate/Animate Pro/Harmony, it will break up your Storyboard file into individual scene files for you automatically. Then if you have something like a background that you need to re-use, you can just save it in your library and drag it into the scenes that need it.

~Lilly