SAVE AS

Hi All -

Can anyone explain to me why when I bring in an existing TB3 file, delete a bunch of elements from both the ‘animation folder’ in the library and from the exposure sheet that when I go to do a ‘save as’ that everything I deleted is copied as well - the element names have been deleted so I am assuming its associated data is gone too …are these frames hidden someplace that I need to dispose of before I do the ‘save as’? I don’t want to lose the integrity of the first file merely create a subset of it under a new name… thanks, dan

everything you do in a software program (not only a tbs) gets lost if you don’t save (also the folders and files unless get locked by the program by default).
if you save it, then the changes get written into the original project file.
if you save it under the new name (‘save as’) then the original remains as it was at the last save and all the new elements get saved as a new project set.
rob

update:
if i am to back up my projects i copy the whole folder set as a ‘projectname_yyyymmdd’ into an another hard drive or a cd.

Hi Rob -

So you would think things would work that way… :slight_smile: I have been doing pcs since the days of the XT and this is the first time I have ever encountered what I am witnessing… you would think that bringing a file in, making changes, then doing a ‘save as’ would save the current file as it stands… does not seem to be the case with TB3. I deleted at least 15 element columns from the exposure sheet and under animation/scene1 from the library. Did a file/save as then watched as all the elements I deleted plus what remained get copied over to the save as file name. I then went to explorer on the desktop, found the folder with the ‘saved as’ name and sure enough all the frames I deleted were there. I even went to TB3 preferences to see if there was some sort of a flag that was set to do an automatic backup - didn’t find one (not that I expected to).
As a workaround, I opened up the file in TB3 then went to explorer did a rename of the original, went back to TB and
did a save… went back to explorer and the file contains just the elements I had wanted the ‘save as’ to give me exists there… weird :slight_smile: - so, unless someone has an idea what the heck the problem could be, I may have to operate in that fashion - shoddy way of doing things but you have to do what you have to do to get the job done :slight_smile: … thanks, dan

Hi Dan,

We looked up your problem and found out this is actually a bug. For now only other option then the one you mentionned would be to physicaly delete the unwanted drawings from the project once they have been removed from the Animation library. We will be working on fixing it for up coming release of Toon Boom Studio. If you ever spot other weird behavior make sure to let us know. You can either make a bug report or send us an e-mail at techsupport@toonboomstudio.com.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo -

Thanks - will there be a fix for having to delete element frames twice? once from exposure and once from animation? It gets to be a pain.jespecially when you have some 600 frames per element … also, any reason why TB3 crashes if I decide to delete a sound element or image element (consisting of image sequence frames) of some 600 frames? It seems to be working then all of a sudden, the program seems to pack it in and just shut down -
Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan,

Deleting elements from exposure sheet isn’t supposed to delete the drawing from the animation in the first place. You can access element that are not on the sheet anymore inside the Cell tab of the properties window. This is mainly used for Cut-Out animation. So whenever you want to delete a drawing from your project you will need to delete it inside the animation (in the library). If the drawing is in use a pop up will appear asking you if you really want to delete the drawing. If you press yes it will be removed from the exposure sheet and the animation (so you don’t actually have to delete it 2 times).

As for the other bug I never encountered that problem so far but if you want you could send us the scene so we can test it and see if the problem is in the software or if its a performance problem. Simply contact us to techsupport@toonboomstudio.com and we will tell you where to drop the file so we can investigate the problem.

Best regards,

Ugo