Sand Storm Particle

Hi Guys,

Anybody know how to create the particle effects of sand storm. I create the illustration of beach scene that’s need to animate the sand storm effect over on them. Could you please share your ideas and how to do this is in Harmony.

Regards,
Vasanth

Particles are pretty complex, more than one post can handle, but in general I find it’s best to start with one of the available effects and then adjust it to do what you need it to do.

For a sandstorm, I might start with the Snow_windy example, swap the snowflakes for sand, and play around with the settings until they feel good to me. Then I would add in dust clouds or swirls to make it look a bit thicker.
It really depends on what kind of look you’re going for. It’s nice to have a reference and then try to break it down into simple pieces, loose sand, dust, wind, then layer them.

Hi Rhubix,

Thanks.

I was try to create the sandstorm effect using the Snow_windy particle system but couldn’t control the direction of the particle movement that means it seems like falling down or comes forward. I want to move the particles from right to left at the same time it should be looks like a windy effect.

Regards,
Vasanth

I just took a peak at the snow one. That one is using the velocity + a sink to get the movement, so it is a bit complex. The velocity module is a bit tricky, I find. If you change the Velocity type, in the velocity emitter to Interpolated speed, it takes away the ransom swooshy-ness of the effect and gives you more control of direction.

I have done a video on the basics of particles using the basic gravity emitter. It might be easier to start with gravity node. I find they’re a little easier to control. Then you can add try adding in a veloctiy, sink or wind friction and explore how those effect the movement.

A lot of learning particles is exploring how each module can effect the system. So starting simple and layering in things is a bit more manageable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfk7t5Y_gTs

Hi Rhubix,

Great tutorial! Thanks a lot.

It’s really helpful. I have a doubt about using chroma-keying to apply on imported .mov (sequence).

1. I can remove the black background of a single image using chroma-keying node but i can’t remove the black background of entire .mov (sequence)

2. Is it possible to import MP4 format?

3. Is it possible to import PNG image sequence into Harmony? I simply click the File>import images>select the first image>open but not imported in entire sequence.

Regards,
Vasanth

1. I can remove the black background of a single image using chroma-keying node but i can’t remove the black background of entire .mov (sequence)

This should theoretically work. Black might be trickier than a green-screen or something really high contrast, but it should work on every frame.

1. Is it possible to import MP4 format?
    nope. :frowning:

2. Is it possible to import PNG image sequence into Harmony? I simply click the File>import images>select the first image>open but not imported in entire sequence.

Yep, this is usually what I do. Select all the images you want to import, not just the first one.

To remove black you can use the Blending module and select Screen, the same way you can use Multiply to remove white. This should work fine as long as there’s no information such as black lines that you want to keep, of course.

To make sure you import images in a clean way, have your files named in a format such as image-1, image-2, image-3, etc. That would make then have the proper order in your OS* and Harmony will use the numbers after the hyphen (e.g.: if you have image-1, image-23, image-45, you’ll get layer image with drawings 1, 23, 45). This will insure that the numbering on your filenames is the same as your scene.

• Some SOs or storage services (I’m thinking about Google Drive, for instance) might order 1, 10,… instead of 1, 2,…, so it might be useful to use 01 or 001 depending of the highest number in your sequence

Luis Canau