Rotoscoping in Toon Boom Studio

I would like to rotoscope a character out of a photograph for an animation. The picture is rather dark and I am certain it will not vectorize. Is it possible for me to trace an image by hand in Toon Boom Studio?

If you scan it in & import the file to TBS you can trace over the image in drawing view with the light-table on, then just delete the element with your scanned photo when youre done. I haven’t tried rotoscoping as such, but I do trace a lot of stuff in TBS as I prefer drawing on paper to my wacom.

We should be able to link media files like mpg, mov, or avi also, right? True rotoscoping would mean tracing over moving video.

I’d like to try this for my next project. If I can figure out how to link media files, that is.

maddogmike & Pat,

Here is one way in which I have successfully been able to rotoscope from a video.
1. The first step is to get a copy of the desired video into Quicktime Pro.

2. Then you can “export” the video as frames in your favorite image format. I normally use PNGs. They will be output as a sequentially numbered series of files.

3. Then you can create a TBS project, add an image element to the x-sheet.

4. Go to the first frame of the image element and right click to get the context menu and select “import from file”. When the dialog box opens you select all of the files in your image stream that you want imported and click on “open”.

5. That’s it, you will get your files imported sequentially and can then rotoscope from your video using drawing elements and the auto light table. Just move the “rotoscope” image element to your far right on the X-sheet to put it at the bottom of the element stack.

One extra tip: If your video exports into more than say 1500 frames, then it might be smart to import it into multiple scenes just to keep things easier with which to work. Not a rule, just practical experience with using rotoscoped videos. You control the size of the import set by how many and which files you import from your exported set of PNGs or JPGs. So Import a set into scene one, then create a scene two and import the next group and so on.

Hope this helps -JK

@gbayard
in order to fill your frames properly try to keep the image size ratio the same as your aimed animation frame size ratio.

the images import scales to the nearer fittting dimension so you may find yourself with too small or too big objects to rotoscope.
cheers,
rob