Robot Chicken

Does anybody watch Robot Chicken? If so, is it made using claymation software?

Thanks for your help, but I have another question. Without using stop motion animation software, can I make this kind of animation using toonboom studio v3 and a camera?

@ssj3
if you own/rent a digicam, you can shoot your frames with it and then import images into tbs. you can then output .dv, qt, flash or image sequence as well. what you won’t be able to do is to edit your single images (gfx or image manipulation).
so your actual stop motion will come from your digicam. the rest is only film editing (not to confuse with frame editing), which you can do in tbs.

an example: i’m currently doing a presentation, some kind of a reel, sampling many images, drawings, and film snippets from my works, adding audio and sound effects.
what is a drawing element, or a sound clip, can be edited in tbs, images go as they came in.
(except for the case when they are vectorized, then they become drawing elements).

in clear words: you can’t edit bitmap images in tbs. everything else is possible, including non linear film editing.
rob

Thanks for the info guys. I actually tried making some movements using a digital camera and a couple of action figures. I then went to the exposure sheet and I right clicked on the image element and imported some pictures and it worked, I’m new to stop motion animation but I think this is how it’s made. Almost like regular animation, but instead of scanning pictures, you use a camera.

That’s right SSJ3,

This is the basic way to do stop motion animation. I did this exercise for fun and It worked pretty well. I used my Canon A510 3.2 mega pixel (nothing fancy just a regular consumer camera) with windows, and since this camera is TWAIN compliant, I was able to use TBS to take the shot directly in the software by clicking on a button.

That was cool but as mentioned in a previous post, TBS is not a dedicated stop motion software and doesn’t not contain many features that will help you create a professional stop motion animations.

But to experiment or have something fun done quickly, it does the job.

Cheers,

There is a dedicated stop motion program called Lunchbox. I haven’t used it yet but plan to get lessons from our local Public Access channel. They have the equipment and teach people how to use it.

From what I understand, taking pictures with a digital camera, etc will work as long as you keep your registration marks and stuff constant. Depending on your frame count, it can be a whole lot of downloading and uploading though even for a very short segment. I have to really admire Aardman Studios and Tim Burton for their feature length productions. Working with drawings are so much more forgiving than clay figures.

BTW- Robot Chicken is one of my favorite shows. Cracks me up! :smiley: