reverse order of images

I am a bit surprised not to find anywhere in TBS a “reverse order of images” command or something like that. Maybe I did’nt look into the proper menu. Maybe I didn’t put the idea in proper words. Imagine you have a sequence of images (of cells ?) such as ABCDEF (or something much longer) and you want to make it FEDCBA. What do you do ?
Thank you

Hi,

You can do it with the advance cycle function (Select drawing range/right click and use the Advance Cycle function). In there set the last drawing to be the first and the first drawing to be the last and you should be good to go.

There is more information about the advanced cycle in the following article from the tips and tricks:

http://www.toonboom.com/products/toonBoomStudio/eLearning/tipsTricks/advancedCycle/

Best regards,

Ugo

In addition to the article the Ugo mentioned above, here is an article that I wrote that uses the exact functionality about which you are asking. You can easily follow the process step by step. -JK

SUBTRACTIVE ANIMATION TECHNIQUE

Both answers are interesting and will be very useful to me very soon. Thank you both… But I realize that I haven’t explained my broblem accurately.
Actually I only have one drawing in two different positions A and B. I have been tweening several frames between A and B and now I want to tween backwards between B and A the inverse movment.
I tried to cut and paste the two cells A and B, and although a bit clumsy in the way I did it, it’s feasible of course.
The funny thing about the result is that whereas the movment from A to B is smooth and progressive, on the contrary the movment from B to A is jittery and somewhat shaky.
If I create a new drawing element, and cut and paste the jittery part into this new drawing element, then everything is fine, and the reverse movement becomes smooth and perfect…
That’s beyond my understanding. I must have missed something important…

It sounds like you are carrying along some keyframes in your copying and pasting. When you go to a new drawing element you must not be transferring those keyframes which accounts for the change in your tweening results.

Keyframes are often confused with drawings or cells particularly with people who have been exposed to Flash where they unfortunately often totally use the term keyframe for everything.

Keyframes are parameters and they are the boundaries for how tweening is defined so you have to be very careful about copy and pasting as the various types of keyfames are attached and the render engine will take them into account even if you didn’t mean for them to be included.

The trick there is to use the PASTE SPECIAL command. Which opens a dialog box that has options that you can include or exclude to control what you paste. You can selective allow or disallow individual keyframes or any keyframes from being included in your paste. I hope this helps you. If not let me know and I’ll try to give you a better explanation. Oh, one more thing to watch out for, when you copy or paste in Toon Boom that copy and paste is influenced by the scene planning tool which is currently selected and active. Each scene planning tool acts as a switch to control which type or types of keyframe parameters are effected by actions like copy or paste or delete etc. I describe this in more detail in my articles on Keyframed Animation in the Cartooning In Toon Boom blog. -JK

Well, I am still digesting this answer.
Maybe this is a different issue, but does it mean that you can only make cycles with a succession of different drawings, of cells containing different drawings if you prefer, and not with a succession of keyframes modifying the same drawing (which is what I tried actually) ?

No, you can make a cycle animating just keyframes and using a single cell animated across a series of frames. The important aspect of a cycle is that the last frame of the cycle must seamlessly flow into the first frame of the cycle otherwise is isn’t a cycle. A cycle is meant to be repeated. As a general rule to animate a keyframed cycle you will need to split the keyframing into multiple components. The basic cycle itself is the repeating loop of images and then you will have a path component that moves the cycle from one location to another.

For example you can have a walk cycle where the character walks in place as if marching on a tread mill with no forward movement included then you place this cycle on to a path that cause it to appear to move across the scene. This is accomplished using two pegs one for the cycle and one for the path.

So in your example A is the starting pose and B is the middle of the cycle then you will end back up at A as the cycle starts over. But there can’t be any change in the place where the cycle occurs. As an example A could be down and B could be up and then drop back down to A but there would not be any horizontal change in position for the object of the cycle. The horizontal path would be separate and not part of the actual cycle itself. If you tried to combine the path of movement inside the cycle it stops being a cycle because it doesn’t actually loop back on itself.

So when developing a cycle , first get it to seamlessly repeat over and over, then you can add a path to make your cycle have locational movement.

Keep asking for clarification until you are sure that you understand the concepts and get the results you want. It is possible that we don’t fully understand your question. -JK

Yes, I think I undestand this part.
I probably have a problem with the advanced cycle panel. Something silly, I guess.
I select by double clicking a range of frames including several keyframes transforming the same very drawing. (I have 6 keyframes, the last being identical to the first). I go to the advanced cycle dialog box. But In the first and last drawing panel, I am only offered two positions, 1 and 2… I expect something else, although I don’t know exactly what.
And if I settle for this and go ahead, choose for instance 2 continuous loops, then nothing happens.
Thank you for your help.