Rendering scenes with large bitmaps takes an insanely long time.

I’m currently working on a project which I’d intended to use bitmap backgrounds for. However I’ve found that rendering these takes a stupidly long time.

For example, I have a 2 second shot where the background is a bitmap (5760x3240 pixels, 300dpi) and the camera zooms in on it. About half an hour ago I set it to render and it’s currently at 67%. I don’t have a slow computer either (3.2ghz quad core).

Is Toon Boom simply not optimised for bitmap images?

Seb

Edit: 35 minutes later - Its at 94%. Seriously wtf?
Edit: Ok the render just finished. I’m now going to use “render” hesitantly, as half the frames did not actually have the background image rendered in!!

Large bitmaps resolutions greatly taxes the graphic card and processing speed of your computer. Have you tried using a smaller size of the same images?What is the output resolution you will use for your movie?

The reason for the large resolution is because the camera moves a fair distance and I want to keep the picture looking good throughout. Yes I probably could lower the DPI though. But I still don’t understand how it can take so long to render, when in the camera preview view, the render is basically instantaneous.

Reducing the size of your bitmap should still allow you to pan across the BG with good quality however you may send a sample project and bitmap in its original format for us to test at support@toonboom.comWhen you hit return to enter it appears as a flash file which is smaller than if you render it to movie file. Please let me know if that is a possibility.