render on a different framerate

I set the scene at 24fps.
Is it possible to export the scene on a different framerate?
Like 29,97 or 60?

Thanks in advance

I know the 3:2 Pulldown technique. I’ve already used it a lot. Here in Brasil our TV system was PAL-M and now is NTSC, both are 29,97fps.
All the animation was done in 24fps are converted to 29,97fps using 3:2 pulldown to be sent to TV.
I was hoping ToonBoom did it, but I couldn’t do it. All films exported on It are 24fps, (even if you ask for a interlaced video).

I’m used to do the Pulldown on After Effects.

Some of our films has 30 seconds and are all animated in just one scene, I was hopping to do it all on ToonBoom. But I’m not being able to do it.

In on one of the answers. o0Ampy0o suggested me to send my questioning to ToonBoom support.
This was their response:

Dear Mauricio Mendes,

If you are using the database you can send the scene to batch composite
and check the options “Field Composite”, “Add Pulldown” and “Automatic
Combine” to make the 24fps into 30 fps.

For all other conversions you will need to set the fps of the actual project to
what is desired and you will also need to redo the timing and re-import audio
to be sampled at the new frame rate.

Most people change the frame rate using an editing software because this
is simpler than re-editing the project itself.

regards,
-ron

As you can see, ToonBoom only does the Pulldown only on the Database Version, apart of that it does not render at a different Framerate.

Thank you for posting the response from Toonboom. The feeling I have always had with Toonboom products is that it creates original footage, much like a traditional film-based animation studio. With that type of thinking it is not really any different than dealing with real world film footage as if it was exposed in a camera. If time were handled any differently, then things like the X-Sheet would have to go away completely.

The main reason I started using Toonboom is so I could draw as if for a camera stand, and combine this with digital motion paths and function curves. I just can’t imagine a way around the retiming issue, while still having the traditional functionality. But, there is probably somebody with a better brain than mine who is figuring this out.

Traditionally 24 fps film has been transferred to North American video speed using what’s called 3:2 Pulldown. That means you would be converting your progressive frame animation to video represented in fields; 2 fields for each frame of video. With Pulldown there is an extra field every third (I think, it’s been awhile) frame. Apps like After Effects are good at handling this. Fields look good on TV screens playing from broadcast servers or disc. It may not look very good streaming over the internet.

A lot of people are really happy that formats like Sony HDCAM and HDTV allow for 24 film style progressive frame playback. Your files will also get less compressed online at 24 vs 60. I’d check on my function curves for smoother camera animation, etc., before jumping through a bunch of hoops to up the frame rate.

If I just change the framerate on the scene settings, ToonBoom does not adjust the timeline. It will just speed up the scene. For instance, If my scene has 2.5 seconds (60 frames at 24fps) and change the Framerate to 60 using this method, my scene will “speed up” and have 1 second only.

That is not what I want.

Let’s say that I have a project that was made for TV (24fps) but some layer motion and camera motion are “jaggy” for its speed. And I want to send it to Youtube (that now accepts 60fps).
I want my film to have the same timing, but with more frames, with more “intervalation”.
So instead of 24 frames each second, ToonBoom renders a scene with 60 seconds each frame. So all the movements are “smoother”.

I know that any program that would do it should recalculate all eases and fill the timeline repeating drawings. I just want to know If ToonBoom dos it.

I Hope you can understand me.

Generally you have a point, more frames shown per second should make for a smoother sequence. Alternately, sometimes adding a slight blur in the direction that the movement is happening in, at key moments in the sequence (for the moving object) can be a really effective remedy.

If your project is already complete it may be simpler to import the movie into a video editing program and extend/change the frame rate that way. This may not fix the “jagginess” however because to make the extra frames, you are just duplicating some of the original frames of the 24fps movie. To really smooth-out a motion that is happening too quickly, you need to spread out the motion gradually over the 60 (for example) frames. This can best be done by upping the frame rate of the project and doing the movements, eases, effects, audio… at this frame rate.

For the motions that are “jaggy” - there are many potential causes for this, so it may not necessarily be caused by, or be resolved by having a higher frame rate. The movie codec (compressor) you are rendering to can also play a role as can high tonal or color contrasts.

For your next YouTube project, you could create it at 60fps to avoid having to modify anything later if the 60fps output is something you anticipate needing to use more often. You can even create a custom “resolution” for it by editing the resolution.conf file.

mauricio,

I understand what you mean. I think you made yourself clear with that explanation. You should copy and paste that post into an email to Support and ask them. When I was talking to them I was mainly focused on using the Quicktime area at export and the tech said to do it the same way rkriz described. But you have really gotten to the heart of your objective.

FWIW, (it matters to me), I had a feel for what your objective has been but I got distracted with incremental tests and experiments. I was thinking all along that the resulting lengths would be the same regardless of FPS. But just focusing on getting the exported film at a different FPS than the project would effect the length and the behavior of the content. I am only saying it for my own sake. I have been on a crash course learning as much as I can about animation and this software. I did not see what I was feeling until now. (This probably only makes sense to me). I am just happy that I grasped it intuitively.

It is allowed by the software but you should ask Support whether the export option where you designate this change even works.

There are Quicktime settings there that are disabled. I asked Support why they were there at all if they were disabled. The response I received did not really address why Toon Boom did not remove it. They did say that the window is part of Quicktime, which is used by the software, however the filters accessed through this Quicktime window should be applied using Toon Boom’s Network Modules instead. This is why they are disabled but it does not explain why the window wasn’t removed to avoid confusion (or if it can be removed). In the TB tutorial videos they do not point out that these are disabled. They just say they are there which has lead more users than only me to the point of frustration when they did not work.

I was able to make the FPS change but I cannot tell whether it actually did anything. I don’t believe you would see anything except it would get jumpy if you went to a slower rate and smooth if you went to a faster rate. If this is the case there is probably a limit to how much is visible in the result. As an experiment I exported a 24fps project to 29.97fps, 60fps and 8fps. They all looked exactly the same. I tried a similar experiment in Toon Boom Studio and received the results I expected, jumpy at 8fps and smoother at 24fps.

If you make the change in the Scene section on that actual project file it will make a mess from what I have read however you can export a video at different rates and it produces a different result. You could export the movie at 24fps and change in other software as well.

You can’t currently export to fractional frame-rates. If you want to export to a different frame rate than the project currently has, temporarily change the project settings to the desired frame-rate and export.

Note though that if you have audio, you may need to disable the original track and import the track again so it is sampled at the new project frame-rate.

You can modify the frame rate from menu-Scene-Project Settings… from the “Resolution” tab.