Regarding probems with Indeo video 5.1 exports

Well I installed 4.5 a few days back. Now I know that Indeo video is the only export option that supports transparency & keeps the file size low without affecting the quality, but ever since i installed the software & try to export a file in the format i get the message, ‘Export failed. File might be used by another application’. However the codec exports perfectly in version 4.0. I would export in swf but I have Adobe Premiere pro 2 that i use for final editing & it doesnt support swfs. Can anyone please help me out?

Are there any other inbuilt codecs that support transparency. Thanks in advance. ;D

Hi,

Is the export to avi or to mov? It might have something to do with the codec, I never actually tested that specific one. Are you getting the same behavior when trying to export with other codecs?

Regards,

Ugo

It exports as avi & supports transparency. Like i said it works perfectly on Toon Boom 4 but not 4.5. The main reason I use it is cause it helps with the transparency & also the file size remains very low without affecting the animation quality which is a good thing. Are there any alternatives one can choose to get the same result. I usually add backgrounds in Premiere so transparency is a must. :-[

I never use the default Cinepack as it completely destroys the animation quality.

Hi,

Have you tried mov instead of avi. Quicktime built in codecs for avi are somewhat of lower quality then the ones for mov so you might have better chance with quality/size on the Quicktime Movie side. This being said I’m not quite sure why you would have a small sized movie with alpha channel, especially if you process it in Premiere afterward.

In theory I would advise that you use a no compression format with alpha channel that you import in your editing software. Once inside Premiere you will compress the final output so the compression you do beforehand will only degrade the final version of your animation done in Premiere.

I might have not gotten the full picture there so let me know if I didn’t understand the whole situation properly.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi, I am not the OP, but I have a like question. I am using TB4 on a mac, and I want to bring in .mov files with no background (ie. the background is transparent) for use in FCP. How do I export from TB4 to achieve this? Thx so much!!!
Jigs

Hi,

To export with transparency the important thing is to use the Millions of Colours + option in the Colour depth when editing the Video Settings. Be aware that not all of the compressor will give you that option.

Best regards,

Ugo