Re:Rotoscope

Hi there,

Sorry, I was referring to the TBS 6 user guide. What version of the software are you running? In the later versions (maybe since 4 or 5) you can import a Quicktime movie directly into the software, and it will break it into images automatically. Then you can create Drawing elements and use the light table to trace over your film.

I hope this helps,

Lindsay

so is there any features that tbs offers to make rotoscoping any easier? besides the use of copy and pasting?
any tips and tricks for rotoscoping are appreciated

Hi there,

Take a look at Chapter 8 of the Toon Boom Studio user guide, page 222. There is a whole section on rotoscoping.

Hope this helps,

Lindsay

im afraid chapter 8 only talks about "using the multiplane camera"
and page 222 taloks about animating rotation with the rotation tool…wrong pages maybe?

I suspect that you are not looking at the version 6.0 help guide. The help guides differ depending on the version you are using.

As to rotoscoping, the easiest approach I have ever found for doing it is to take the live action movie and save it as an image sequence using my video editing software (QuickTime Pro is great for this). Then you can create an image element in TBS go to the desired starting frame position on your time line and import all or part of the image sequences as needed. Put the image element at the bottom of your timeline / exposure sheet elements. Then using the Auto Light Table turned “on” in drawing view you can draw over the top of your images. - JK

thanks for the tips, im already in the middle of a project. but its tedious work that doesnt mater though , i have to make a name for myself…

i’m in the middle of a rotoscoping project myself and find that TB Studio is an excellent app for this animation process. The video I’m using is a stock clip from YouTube, which I pulled down and converted from an flv to an mov. Then I brought it into AE to adjust the speed, and exported it at 24 fps as another mov, which imported directly into TB as a layer with individual frames. I created another drawing layer, on which I traced the outlines, and then created a second drawing layer to paint in the fill. Easy enough, but a 30 second clip will take a couple days to completely outline and paint.

Your comments remind me of my students - they get frustrated when they dig in and really discover what it takes to animate, expecting the computer to make everything easier. Flat out, animation is tedious WORK. There’s no getting around it. And if you don’t enjoy the work, you’ll have a very hard time completing the project.

Remember, it’s not about the destination - it’s the journey.

Good luck!

Kris10