re-ordering hierarchys

Hello - Im trying to re-order the hierarchy of my symbols - which the manual says is done by [Alt]+[Down Arrow].
Im using a macbook and I’m not getting any response with this key-combo - I’m sure its just me and the answer is simple - but right now its doing my head in - can anyone help me please.
thanks
tim

Hi,

Which tool do you have selected when using the shortcut. Also which shortcut settings are you using (Adobe Flash/Toon Boom Studio/Toon Boom Harmony Digital Pro).

Regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo
Thanks for your quick response
I am using the transform tool (animation unselected)
Not sure what you mean by “which shortcut settings are you using” - I’m clearly missing something (im a noobie)

Have just been breaking apart TBs ballerina template example to see if i can work out how they’ve done it - but im none the wiser yet
tim

Hi,

I just checked and the shortcut settings should not affect the function (I meant the which shortcut scheme you are using, which can be selected in Edit>Preferences>Shortcut).

As for the option itself, it seemed to be working fine for me with the transform tool. Make sure the focus is in the Camera view while you use the shortcut (red framing around the camera view). Then you may want to bring in the Layer Properties to make sure it does indeed work. You should notice the element go up or down in Front/Back value there each time you use the shortcut.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo
Genius! :slight_smile: Somehow Ive managed to make it work! - though I still cant get [ALT]+[Arrow] to work - I adjusted the hierarchys of my parts by playing with the Z curve in the layer properties.
I am very worried though that there is so much more to ‘animate’ than I shall ever be able to understand. Where should I go to learn more about layer properties?
I couldnt sleep last night from thinking about this! ‘Animate’ - its not good for your health! :wink:
Thanks for your help
Tim :slight_smile:

Hi,

Pretty much all of the features are documented in the User Guide. The guide should be used as a reference when you have questions (it pretty much jumps from function to function) but should contain valuable information on how things works. If you still can’t figure out what something is used for simply ask over here, I’m pretty sure someone will be able to help you out.

Best regards,

Ugo

Excellent - Thank you.
As a matter of interest - is it possible to buy the full user guide in a printed book? I have the pdf and print out bits here and there, but i much prefer a full book that I can have on my lap (or read in bed)
tim :slight_smile:

Hi,

We have not yet made a printed version of the user guide. Closest thing you could get at the moment is to print it and put is in a binder.

Regards,

Ugo

Hello Ugo
I am making good progress with my puppet. I am using the pdf manual and you are right it is very in-depth.
However I still cant get the

Hi Ugo
Relax - I think i have sorted it :slight_smile:
I think it was just a case of me not being clear about what view i was in - I think i have patches sorted now.
Just need to get this puppet to dance now… stand by for a whole new bunch of noobie questions about animation :slight_smile:
tim

Hi Tim,

Glad you are doing good with the software. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Ugo

Also had issues with this shortcut on Mac. Seemed to work if I chose the SELECT tool, selected the part I wanted to nudge up or down, then selected the transform tool and used the shortcut. Strange…noticed a whole bunch of things that are broken on Animate Pro mac. Sometimes holding Z to zoom in quickly on the workspace deleted the current frame, I’ve had animations break after doing stuff on other layers…meh. Otherwise drawing tools feel nice meheh.

This doesn’t work for me either. It’s kind of a dumb shortcut anyway…you can’t even see the item nudge up or down until after you switch views back apparently!

Toon Boom is filled with annoying little quirks like that.

But yes, the drawing tools feel and look great.

I finally got this to work, but it doesn’t work like the Help pdf claims. It asks you to double click on the layer which will only bring you inside the layer symbol.

However, the instructions on the kickstart video are correct. De-select everything, then drag the transform tool over the part you want to re-order. Now you should be able to use the alt + up or down shortcut to reorder the layer.

I can get the [Alt]-[down arrow] to perform but if I have several views on one layer, say front, side, rear, can I have say the head of my model infront of the neck on the front pose, and the head behind the neck on the rear pose? As far as I’ve tried, the head always moves the same for all poses on one layer :-[

thanks.

If you want to nudge things in front on one drawing, then behind on another drawing, make sure that you have the Animate button selected. Then, with the transform tool selected in the camera view, when you nudge it should create a keyframe. Then when you nudge on the next drawing, it will create another keyframe, and it will animate between the different positions.