Re:Moving Appendages in Perspective

Thanks Lily,

I meant that when I am setting up my puppet the arms overlap. I haven’t gotten to animate him yet. Maybe I was too confusing. I am just trying to make the arms be where they need to be when I am rigging. If that is done during animation instead of the puppet then I am all set. Are the limbs supposed to be all messed up in the puppet then when I get to animate him I change it with the Z position? Is the puppet supposed to be perfectly set in all positions before I animate? If so then I don’t have it right. I can send a screen shot from my puppet and work space if need be.

HI,

Just need some advice about when I move my arms and legs in the perspective tool properties window. On my forward and three quater view the limbs are fine. When I get to profile my 01_arm and 02_arm are basically on top of each other. I want the 01_arm behind the body and the 02_arm in front of the body. Whether I change it in the patch symbol window or the Top view it always changes all the views. I just need to figure out how to make them at different perspectives for different views. I hope I didn’t sound too “novicey”.

G

Yes I have watched that video several times before and after you responded to me. I have been following the videos as I have been going along. I will attempt to adjust the Z depth now in the side view and see if it will make arm_01 go behind the body without affecting the other views.

G

I just tried to go into the patch and arm_01 layer and when I adjusted it’s Z position it affected all the other layers. I will attempt to show you what I am dealing with with a pic.

G

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh526/GregSpace/JackSpace.jpg

So in the tutorial Rigging, you stated that when you were one step before the pegs you had some trouble (As I did) with the positions of the arms in the 3/4 and side views. So you stated “I Zed nudged, as you can see by these keyframes, the first column of the second and third view.” I don’t think I’m clear on how to do that. If you view my screen shot you will see that I am having trouble getting to the next step in the rigging (Pegs) because I don’t fully understand key framing here. I am still having trouble because when I change one view (Anywhere) it changes all the views. Example: 3/4 back the 01_arm, hand is in the foreground on top of the butt. What am I missing here?

G

Hey Lilly,

I have started the process of riggin out my pegs. It seems to being going well. I am going to wait until that is all done until I try to Z nudge the arms and keyframe them in the other views. I will let you know if I have any other problems. Thank you again.

G

OK, so I completed my Hierarchy. I have all the body parts mixed down into my master peg. When I was looking through all the parts I noticed that the pegs for the arms were off. As was everything else. However when I looked in the individual drawings, symbols, what have you, they were where I had them originially. I tried to go into the symbols, click the drawing layer (Not the patch layer) copy cells to timeline. Then made empty drawing, extended my exposer and hit paste special. When I went back to see if they all got recalibrated I noticed that it only set the pivot for the first drawing and all the other views were centered on the first views pivot point. In addition, after the mixdown into the master peg, I tried to hit F6 to make the keyframes. That worked, however, I still could not Z nudge that specific drawing in one view without it affecting the other views. I will try to put some pictures in order up in paintbucket and I will link them soon. I apologize for the length of this forum post, however, I want you to know I following the riggin video step by step and I am still having these issues. If I could just get by this part I may have a finished puppet.

I have uploaded TEN photos to photobucket that will hopefully explain better what I have been doing. I will drop a link here:

http://s1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh526/GregSpace/

Hopefully this works so you can view each one. Please let me know as soon as you can what you think and what you know. Just make sure to look at them in order. Thank you.<br />

G

Lilly Quoted…

Well first of all, I see that you’re working with symbols. In the end, this is going to slow down your workflow, because you’ll have to go inside the symbols whenever you want to animate the arm.

This part I don’t understand. The dragging and dropping should I get rid of my symbols? I thought I needed them to hide the black lines?

G

Lilly,

You’re a rock star seriously. No sweat. I appreciate it. I am going to try that now. Also I saw the tip of the week (On symbols) and it looks like I should have just gone without symbols altogether. However I didn’t know that at the time when I was watching the tutorials. I’ll get back to it soon.

G

It is done. I got all the pivots for all the body parts in all the right places on all the views. However, (Isn’t there always a “However”?) I tried to Z nudge the JS_01_ARM-PEG, I could do it, but the arm started to show up again as I jogged the timeline to the right piece by piece? Also the last cell of the 3Q view z nudged as well? Not sure why. Am I supposed to Z nudge the Symbol arm, forearm, and hand seperately? Or just the parent? You stated before I just needed to adjust the parent. That is what I tried. It didn’t work correctly. Am I supposed to have the animate button pushed in while I am nudging or shut it off while transforming?

Update: While going over my layers I noticed that the cells in each view are not the same. Front view has 9, 3Q has 11, the other three views have 8. Does this change my dealings with cells and z nudging? The extra cells are for different mouth expressions: a teeth smile, whince, horror, etc. Do I need extra cells for this or can I just swap out drawings from my libraray or something, during animation? That is if the extra cells affect the z nudging of course.

G

Things have been going great thanks for asking. I finished my puppet. It looks ok, not perfect but I got the side view WALKING! I do have a question for you though. On youtube tips of the week, another female animator was talking about NOT using symbols. I have followed the tutorials verbatem. I am about to start a second character “a dog” should I create symbols for him or should I do something different. I wonder if she was refering to Animate Pro? Although she didn’t say which program she was using, shes showed her puppet moving without symbols, I was confused. How did she do it in Animate 2? It also seems that it is easier to segment appendages with “Shirt sleeves” at the shoulders so symbols arn’t needed. I don’t know. Just wondering if you have a suggestion.

G

Ok, Sorry your voice sounds different in the Tip of the week. Anyway so I should use my symbols even though it will slow my workflow down? Ok, it’s full steam ahead then. Thank you. I’ll let you know if I need anything else, (Which I probably will)

G