Re:harmony and 3d objects..

what a complicated way of doing it… i thought it would be easier to imports .obj objects with textures would be easier…

hi guys,

just got myself a copy of Harmony and loving it, somehow finding it easier than animate pro… not sure why… :wink:

on the subject of 3d object importing, i can only find reference in the manual to importing .osb file formats…

I use a variety of 3d programs and none of them export to this format…

I dont have maya so the plugin provided by toon boom i cannot use.

are there any plans to introduce any other 3d object formats to import into harmony… or plugins for other software, im using modo and lightwave 3d,

thanks for any input

ps sorry if in the wrong section, couldnt find a section for harmony…

Tony

http://www.opensg.org

thanks GCharbee, still no closer to understanding that site (must be designed by a programmer…no offense intended)…is there a converter on the site?

was shown this before, but i gotta say it makes no sense to me…

Tony

I don’t use it, but my understanding is you require Maya because you need to use the renderers from Maya to make the feature work properly.

I must say that I am still confused on much of what has been revealed of the 3D import/export/rendering.

Pixie and 3Delight were mentioned as 2 of the 3 renderers used and those are REYES renderers like Pixar’s Renderman.

If someone has Maya and Harmony and completes a scene to their satisfaction and the file is sent off to be rendered is this final file an RIB file?

I have Modo and Cinema 4D and I know that Cinema supports 3Delight but they don’t support OSB export. Although I have heard that there may be some workarounds involving exporting out as a VRML and converting to OSB by other means? I used to use that VRML export in Cinema when I used Mindavenue’s AXELedge way back when.

Still, it looks like Maya is really the only way to attend this party.

-Mark

ouch… gonna b an expensive autumn then methinks…

is there really no other way?

i thought the rendering was done within harmony…

thanks everyone for their input…

Tony

In the Animate v Harmony thread lilly talks a lot about the feature
and adds
"Now the way that we do that render is it sends the 3D element out to your 3D software, renders it, and brings it back in. Because it uses your original 3D scene, it means that you preserve all the textures, shaders, and lighting from your original scene, so there’s no loss in quality. This also means that the pipeline is a bit more complex, however, and there are many different scenarios for how to accomplish this depending on what other software you’re using, what operating system you’re on, so on and so forth. "

This implies it might work with other software but afaik Maya is currently it.

thanks for the info lily…

how do i import an obj file, didnt see an option for that in the import dialog in harmony. the manual only goes into importing osb files.

just got the maya plugin to try with the demo of maya, not sure i want to shell out $3.5K for that yet…

Tony

Can you have objects animated in your Maya scene or does all animation have to happen on the Harmony side?

yeah… all working great… now to play…

i didnt have a 3d token… simple’s…

do i need a 3d token for storyboard pro 3d as well…?

Tony

glad I saw this thread … not interested in harmony standalone and 3D objects… I am already using Fusion as my compositor of choice… lightwave, modo, ZBrush, Blender… Maya is sitting in DVD case on the shelf. sounds like you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel here… I use toonboom software for stricly 2D assets. ~peace

wisemaster…

if your not using maya… want to sell…

apparently toon boom didnt watnt o re-invent the wheel… and as maya had good toon capabilities i think they chose to render in maya…

i dont think harmony can inherently render 3d scenes… so needs maya to do so…

The fact they haven’t reinvented the wheel is why it was implemented this way!

It certainly fits in the Toonboom style, where they provide software that allows you to do anything you want. This gives major studios an amazing pipeline if they are doing a mixed 2D/3D production.

The value of this for individuals will vary, I feel the bulk won’t be using this although there are obviously some who would be very interested.

I belive this is why the 2D/3D intergration is the last selling point of Harmony. Even when you ignore that feature there is pretty cool stuff which looks very impressive.