Quitting when Lip-syncing

OK, so I just bought TBS 3.5.1 yesterday, and have gotten to part 3 of the quick start tutorials (Lip-sync). Everything starts fine, the debSpeaks file plays just fine on its own, but when I tell the Sound Editor to lip-synch, the progress window appears, then the whole program immediately closes down. I’ve tried with different sound files, and with simple doodles of my own, all with the same effect, instant quit. Actually, occasionally, TBS will crash in the sound editor, becoming unresponsive, though I may have been trying to go too fast at those times.
I am using Windows XP with 3.25 GB of RAM with a Creative SB X-Fi and Radeon X1900 cards.
Any thoughts? Is this a bug of some sort, do I need some new drivers my computer can’t detect, or might TBS just not work on my system?
Thanks

Hi,

I am not sure this is in case but one thing you could try is change some settings in the Preferences. To do so go in Edit>Preferences>Display tab and change the Renderer to Direct3D instead of OpenGL. Then close and restart the application.

Let us know if there is any progress.

Best regards,

Ugo

Well, thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, it did absolutely nothing. The sound editor may have been a little more responsive under Direct3D, but after messing with the various settings repeatedly for half an hour with no real change (i.e. it still quits) I’m just not sure anymore.

Could this sort of thing be caused by a spyware infestation? I’ve seen that some strange things can sometimes happen with that.

Hi,

If there is some conflict in displaying elements you might get some crashes. Try doing a full scan of your machine and also disable any uneeded application (and also desktop themes).

You might also want to check your memory usage when you work with Toon Boom Studio as well as when you don’t work with it.

Also, the crashes you get are windows crash or Toon Boom crash (would it be possible to provide us the error message).

Best regards,

Ugo

I’m not seeing any conflicts, but how do I do a “full scan” in Windows XP?
I can disable many programs (doesn’t help the problem), although I still have about 60 processes left that I don’t know what they do, which seems like kind of a lot.

Memory usage is anywhere from about 10% to 55% when Toon Boom is running, usually the lower end. Normally, when not running any programs, it is still about 3% usage.

Toon Boom crashes, not windows, but there is no error message of any sort. The “Computing lip-sync data” window appears, and in a split second the whole program just closes down, with Windows still working just fine.
PCs rarely have helpful error messages, I find. :\

Hi,

By a complete scan I was trying to say a virus scan or a scan for spyware. As for the processes running a good thing to do is actually look them up on the web. There are tons of site which will tell you if those are legitimate or malware.

Also, is this behavior only noticeable with the sound editor function?

By the way how big is the scene you are working on? Is this only noticeable in the debspeak file? Is this also happening with brand new scenes? Ungoing projects?

Best regards,

Ugo

It works!

After scanning everything, checking through all those iffy processes and what not…nothing helped. So I decided to try the driver problem again (which actually seems to be the case for most gltiches I ever have). Downloaded the newest ones for my graphics and sound cards, and also my Wacom tablet (which I realize I forgot to mention I had). It took awhile to install everything, but finally TBS worked! Deb spoke! and with other sound files I had too! I think it was the Wacom tablet at fault, those drivers seemed to have been really old (its an Intuos 2), though everything did need updating.
The sound editor it still a little slow, but it doesn’t crash anymore.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Ugo. Now I can finally get on with things.
;D ;D

Hi,

Glad everything is working. If the situation shows up again make sure to let us know.

Best regards,

Ugo