Quick Preview has stopped working

When I try to Quick Preview my scene, all I get is a black screen and no sound. I thought this might have been because I installed a new version of Quicktime (7.1.6 for Windows XP), but when I reinstalled 7.1.5 there was no change. I can still export without any problems.

Hi,

Try the following:

http://www.toonboom.com/support/tbs/kb/questions/32/Quick-Preview-is-not-working-anymore-or-render-does-not-preview-after-being-finished

Best regards,

Ugo

Ah, that fixed it. Thanks!

I am running Vista. There is no “allow Flah playback” in QuickTime.

http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/toonBoomStudio/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3403

You need a Quicktime version between 7.1.5 and 7.3 (don’t use 7.3 or above). 7.1.5 works very well on both XP and Vista machines. -JK

Hi,

We are actually working on this but it involves a lot of other element which can’t be rushed to keep the integrity of the software. We could not have planned this situation to happen and are doing our best to find out work around ways to get it to work but we cannot yet say when the new render engine will be ready.

By the way we are not forcing anyone to downgrade, the downgrade is one of the workaround way. You can always rely on the Preview Scene or do some lower resolution export to have your preview done.

Regards,

ugo

I’ve got a question regarding this subject. I’m using Ver 4.0 and haven’t quite justified spending the upgrade money just to use Quick Preview yet. So, I’m using Preview Scene.

The problem is that it’s my first time going from 12fps to 24fps and outputting to a higher resolution than 320x240 and quick preview is taking a painfully long time to render something as small as a 4 second clip. I understand that I can change the animation settings of the resolution back down until final output, and I will do that, but I was also wondering this:

I draw in multiple strokes with the brush tool. Would it or should it be beneficial to go over all of the elements in my library and use the optimize function in the right click menu, thus flattening the overlap?

Would that increase rendering speed at all?

Hi,

For the preview scene option the fact of optimizing your artwork won’t have that much of an impact on the amount of time taken to do the render since the preview is a full render (it is a bitmap sequence and does not have any vector involved so overlapping element won’t change much).

This being said if you think the preview is taking too long you might want to export to swf rather then doing a Preview Scene, it may actually be faster that way.

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks for the information. I figured I’d ask before optimizing everything or making that a permanent habit and falsely thinking it helps in that regard. I assume the optimize feature lessens file size for swf files. Eh, I can look that up.

I’m eventually going to upgrade my version. To be clear, the quick preview issue has been addressed in version 4.5, right?

Thanks again for the info.

Hi,

Yes the Quick Preview issue was addressed in the new version. We no longer rely on Quicktime to do those.

Regards,

Ugo