question on the quick-time tutorials

I know some of the tuts are from V2.5, & I just want to make sure they are still relevant on a few topics. Specifically drawing in sceneplanning view. I was under the impression that no drawing should be done in sceneplanning window, but the tut talks about using it for touching up joints & such. So, is that dated info? Or was I just under the wrong impression? (most likely)

Thanks for any info

Hi Kdog,

There is not actual reason not to draw in the camera view. The drawing view is an isolated view but if you want to draw something that would be global to the scene using the camera view to draw is as good as using the light tablet. Though be aware then when drawing in the camera view it will always be on top and make sure to not be mistaken in the tools (select for drawing vs select for elements).

The important thing is to be comfortable in your workflow. If using the drawing view only suits you and you find yourself efficient enough to work this way there is no reason not to do so.

Best regards,

Ugo

ahh, thanks alot Ugo, thats all I needed to know

kdog (Pat),
You probably got the impression about not drawing in camera view from some of the things I have written. TBS made the change that allows drawing in camera view around V2.5 as I recall. There is nothing that prevents a person from doing some or all of their drawing work directly in camera view. I personally think that it is a bad practice and so I normally advise people to avoid doing this.

Every person has to make up their own mind about the techniques and practices they employ. My argument against drawing in camera view is based primarily on the concept that camera view is oriented toward staging and compositing action while drawing view is oriented toward drawing characters. They work together and help a person to be more organized in their planning and working. Many people like the idea of just using the timeline and camera view and want to avoid drawing view and the x-sheet entirely. Usually these are people who started out in Flash which has no x-sheet. Surprisingly enough I started out in computer animation in Flash drawing directly on the stage and using the main time line and I found that very disorienting from my traditional hand drawn animation experience. So in Flash I soon started to draw inside symbols and just use the main time line and stage for compositing. Most Flash cartoonist move to this approach as they become more experienced as it makes developing cartoons easier. But there are still plenty of Flash artists that still draw directly on the main stage. Flash supports some very undisciplined work approaches some OK and some detrimental to getting good results. OK, that’s my usual long winded post. -JK

I see what you’re saying, & I want to learn the traditional method of animating moreso than the new school, strictly digital. That’s the #1 reason I went with TBS, as it seemed to incorporate more of both methods than anything else I found. Also, I want my “Early Birds” toon to have a Looney Tunes feel. God knows I don’t have the skill to make it look like a looney tunes piece, but I hope to capture some of the spirit, & I don’t think thats possible in a purey digital toon. Some people might, but it’s my opinioin that most digital stuff tends to have a flat look & that details & features are left largely ignored.

As for actually drawing in camera view, I may or may not check it out, but definitely wont rely on it. I haven’t been on TBS lately as I’ve been hand drawing alot of stuff.

Pat, the Looney Tunes feel is a great goal and certainly a favorite of mine. I’m sure that you can achieve a very good result in a digitally drawn environment. This does in fact present exactly the reason that using Drawing View is so important. To achieve the modeled look of the Looney Tunes requires strong draftmanship based on underlying construction using geometric solids. Whether you draw on paper or you draw on “plastic” this style is a progressive series of steps where the forms are layered as you go from the simple to the more detailed. So as a general rule this requires using several elements for each cleaned up final. You will most likely have a couple of rough layers and a clean up layer for each character. The rough layers will get abandoned in the final movie and are just part of the evolution of the character animation. TBS is ideal for this type of constructive drawing as it has the auto light table for using multiple layers much like a light box. Onion skinning is great for working across frames and auto light table is great for working inside the same frame. And as you abandon a rough element layer you can just un-check it in the elements list of the exposure sheet and the time line and it is there for future reference but conveniently out of the way. I bring this step wise process up here because it is fundamental to drawing solid 3D looking characters and so often not used by people new to drawing or animation. Many people think they just start with a single element an go right to the final cleaned up drawing but most experienced artists actually build a drawing up in layered steps and TBS Drawing View supports this very nicely when used as I have described it. -JK

JK, I think I have been following that process almost exactly (since I made my light table anyway). And I know it is an under-utilized feature of toonboom. I think at the moment I just prefer drawing on paper, but I definitely take advatage of onion skinning & refining my drawings. I’d say each frame of my last walk cycle took about 3 or 4 drawings to get to the one I used, & most of them could still use more (I slacked a bit on the 2nd half). What is VERY nice about the system in TBS is that by unchecking those elements, I’m not left with a stack of bad drawings like I am using paper… once I get a bigger pad I think I’ll do more drawing right into TBS but for now I prefer tracing my hand drawn stuff.

That’s a big part of why it’s worth doing in my eyes, I saw my char come along way just from re-drawing him so many times, & that will continue to happen I’m sure.