Question About Version 4.5 New Feature

Hi,

I am interested in upgrading to 4.5, as the “animation on real video” would be very useful in my work. I just have a question about the functionality before I go ahead with the upgrade. I checked out the home page, but couldn’t find any specific explanation.

In the very brief demo video, we can only see animation on top of actual video footage. But can we add sound and lip-syncing, etc. and actually create videos where the people we film are interacting (speaking with, touching) our animated characters? I need to film an interview between two colleagues, and have it interrupted by an animated character suddenly appearing in the room and speaking with my colleagues. I guessed from a “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” comment I read somewhere (maybe in one of the mails) that this is possible, but I wanted to make sure before I made the purchase. I only just got version 4, and I’m perfectly happy with it, so don’t really need the other new functions of 4.5.

Thanks in advance.

DanB.

Hi,

You can indeed do something like “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” by importing video footage and drawing over it. For this you would need either great actors (who could pretend the animated character is there while filming) or use someone to play the animated character and draw that character over him after. In this case you maybe have some touch up to do later on (when the animated character do not fight right on the actual actor) to erase parts of your actor that should not be scene (if your animated character is small skinny arms you will need to do some touch up on every frame to erase your actor, in such case you might be better off filming 2 times, 1 without the actor and one with it).

Best regards,

Ugo

Ugo,

Excellent! That’s what I wanted to hear, thanks! I will make the upgrade now.

I was wondering if you could answer another problem for me? I posted it in the “What am I Doing Wrong Here?” thread in the Lip-sync section of this forum. It’s with regard to dragging in a template of a previous scene into a new scene’s timeline. For some reason the start frame of the new scene gets shifted to frame 380 after dragging in the template, and I cannot get everything to shift back to frame 1. I outlined the steps I’m taking in the other thread.

http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/toonBoomStudio/index.php?board=27;action=display;threadid=3944;start=0#msg16210

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,

DanB.

Hi Dan,

From what you explain right here it may simply be related to the fact the template was made out of element rather then a specific selection in the timeline.

When you do your template make sure to do the selecting box from the frame you want the template to start to the frame you want it to end (for all the elements). Then drag that selection in the library.

If you bring that template back in a new scene put the red cursor of the timeline to frame one then drag your template on the frame one and you should have the thing started at the beginning of the scene.

Hope that solves your issue.

Best regards,

Ugo