QuadMap OnionSkin Problem

Hello.

I have a problem with onionskinning and quadmaps.

I added a quadmap to make a shadow to one of my characters and connected in to an add transformation module in my network. I couldn’t connect a pegged character (cut out animation character that’s connected to one master peg) to the shadow so I made a group out of that peg and that worked (kind of). now when I try to see an onion skin of newly created objects I can only see a quadmapped version of that object (skewed and positioned like a shadow) although they aren’t connected to a quadmap. BUT when I try to see an onionskin of the character I did connect to a quadmap I can see the onionskin but with weird inverted colours.

help.

Hello again

I did not duplicate my character. I just added an Apply-Image-Transformation module and connected the character and the quadmap to it so I don’t have to duplicate any drawings (I saw it in a tutorial on the web somewhere, I thought that’s the best and only way to do it) and then connected the Apply-Image-Transformation to the Shadow Module and then to the Composite. I didn’t know how to add all drawings contained in my main character peg to the shadow or any other effect module (cause you can only add one I guess) so I grouped it.

Thank you so much for all your support. It was very helpful :slight_smile:

I’m trying to follow what you’re saying here so let me just see if I’ve got it right.

You said that you couldn’t connect a pegged character to the Quadmap? How did you try to make this connection? In the timeline, simply add the Quadmap layer then drag and drop the pegged character onto it. In the Network, place the Quadmap layer at the top of your network and connect the out port of the Quadmap to the in port of your Master Peg.

Okay so next you talk about onion skin. First of all, when you duplicated your character, did you select your master peg in the timeline and do a Duplicate Selected Layers or did you Clone the layers?

I just did a test here and either way I was able to see the onion skin on the Quadmap as well as the onion skin on the regular one.

As a side note, I suggest that you finish all the animation on the regular one before creating your drop shadow, as this is much easier to work with. That way the very last thing is creating your shadow, and you know that the shadow will match the original perfectly.

~Lilly

If you want to add more than one drawing layer to an effect like a shadow, then grouping it alone isn’t going to do the trick. You need to actually add a composite node. Connect the drawing modules together in the composite node, then you can connect the out of that composite into the effect.

If you want to use the Apply-Transform node, you should use Apply-Peg-Transform instead of Apply-Image-Transform. With Apply-Image, if your image gets cut off by the edge of the camera view then it will also be cut off when you transform it (which you probably don’t want).

I have linked here a screenshot of what your Network should look like. Drawing, Drawing_1, and Drawing_2 represent the different body parts of a character. They are all connected to a composite, then the out port of this composite is what is plugged into the following effects.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy184/lillybirdsong/ToonBoom/Picture3.png

~Lilly

You’re very welcome!

~Lilly