Puppet - arranging pieces

I’ve dragged the arms and legs onto the body of my puppet so they’re all attached and will move with the puppet. Before I did this, the right arm and leg were above the body on the timeline - so they showed in front of the body. Once I’d attached the, they’re behind the body and no re-arranging helps. How do I attach everything? The nudging suggestion holding down the alt key didn’t work. Thanks so much!

The “z” Direction of 3D Space

There is another degree of layering available in Toon Boom beyond ordering in the exposure sheet or the time line track list and it involves using the “z” direction of 3D space also referred to as the Front/ Back position of the element. Elements in the exposure sheet or time line track list all start out with the same Front/Back position in 3D space. Essentially they are all on the same picture plane even though they are in a stack. So their relative layering order can be adjusted by positioning an element forward or backward by a fractional amount.

The Front/Back position of an element can be changed by using the scene planning “Select” tool (6). Select your object. Go to the Properties panel under the Drawing tab change the offset for the Z-direction which is the last Offset input box to the viewer’s right. Just a slight change of a .01 units either F (front) or B (back) is all that is required.

You can also move elements back and forth along the Z axis while in Camera View. Useful keyboard shortcuts are [Alt] + [Down Arrow] to bring the element one increment closer to the camera, and [Alt] + [Up Arrow] to push the element one increment back away from the camera. Using these shortcuts in Camera View will move elements in .01 increments. Again, you need to use the scene planning “Select” tool (6) to select the desired element in the Camera view panel before trying to adjust its Front/Back position.

A key piece of these instructions often missed is that the scene planning “Select” tool (6) must be used to select the element you want to move along the Z axis because this is an element adjustment not a key frame adjustment.

Hope this helps -JK

Thank you SO much! What a difference (and time savings!) a little extra information can make!

Now I’m stuck on a Cell Swapping problem but will put it in a new post so others can view also.

Thanks again JK,
Paula

www.wandererstorycompany.com