Problem with setting pivots...

guys, another question…I’m experimenting with Pivot points on toonboom 7.1…However, I can manually pivot each part of my puppet…However…when I try to pivot the head and turn it…the whole body moves with it!.. WHy is it doing this…is it a flaw in the program? or is it because when I joined all the pivots…the head was placed on the top of the list??

Note: its doing the same thing with the right arm of the puppet. I can manually move and pivot the body, left arm and feet…but not the head and the arm…however, when I select those…I notice that the rest of the body is highlighted in grey boxes. I think that has something to do with the whole body moving along with it.

I have had this problem too. It seems that the best solution is to create a new layer. Copy and paste the image from the “jumpy” layer to the new one.
Delete the old and rename the new layer “R_Arm” or whatever.
I find the same image on a new layer does not jump around.

The jumping seems to be the result of copying from one arm, flipping the image to be another arm. Then when you try to set the pivot the image jumps around. FRUSTRATING!!! :o

But I get around it.

You need to create separate bone groups (if using bones). One for the main body and head, and one for the details of the head (eyes, nose, mouth…).

If using pegs, it’s the same idea… Create your main body structure. Usually it’s best to make the top of the chain the waist since the waist is what drives the motion of the rest of the body (alternately you can make the top of the chain the head if you find working that way easier). Remember to make a master peg to move the character as a whole.

If the head is the top of the chain then you will need to have two structures from the head, one for the body and one for the details of the head. For this reason its sometimes simpler to make the waist the top of the chain. You would still need two chains (one for the torso and top part of the body, one for the lower part and a master peg as always on top of the waist).

Again there are many methods to rig a character so you can follow one of the examples in the robo skeleton or the downloadable templates. There is also some material to examine in the Tips & Tricks section.