problem with blur effect when exporting - part 2

Hello everyone

I have posted this problem before, and got some advise, but I still have problems with exporting my movies

I use the blur effect a lot, and gradients. When I export this, there are problems with the quality of the movie. The problem is visible when a blur/gradient area is moving. The blur leaves a choppy delay/trail in the movie.

I have a link to a movie here, just to illustrate the problem (it is internet quality, but the problem is still visible) The problem seems to be there no matter the quality I export to.

http://gallery.me.com/kjetil.ottesen#100051

I use a G5 mac. Animate 2. I use the HD resolution.

export with quicktime.
settings: compression : animation
depth : millions of color
quality :best

Thanks for any advise

Kjetil Ottesen
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

thanks

the H.264 seems to make things much better concerning the blur effect… Im gonna experiment more with that.

However, with that setting, the movie chops a bit, when the camera pans fast. Is there a smart way to reduce general chopping?

Kjetil Ottesen

Thanks

That was a very nice tip.

I tried to reduce the quality of the choppy movie, and it got all good, so I image the choppiness i saw was related to my machine not beeing able to play the high quality movie smoothly. I guess thats normal too

I will experiment more on this. Thanks again ;D

I’m guessing it’s because of the compression type. When you compress an image, sometimes what it does is it looks at the previous image and tries to see how much it has changed from the current image, and if it hasn’t changed that much, then it just won’t change the pixels on that frame.

Have you played around with different compression settings? I know that a lot of people use H.264 - have you tried this option?

I can run a test here later and see if I can find some better compression types to use.

~Lilly

The choppiness that you see with fast camera moves is something that I think would happen regardless of the codec. Generally what happens is that our eyes interpret it as choppy, especially when there’s a lot of points of reference for example if we’re looking at a complicated background. In real life, when you shoot with a video camera, when you make a camera move there’s actually some motion blur on the camera, and it’s this blur that makes it so that the camera does not appear choppy.

The only thing that I can suggest is that you could put a directional blur on your final composite to blur everything, and blur it in the direction of the camera movement just enough so that it doesn’t appear to be choppy.

When we do things like animating a character, and we want the character to look realistic, we do a squash and stretch on the character on frames where there’s a fast movement to make it look like the character’s stretching in the direction of the movement. This serves the same purpose, we’re accomplishing an optical illusion that when a camera captures a very fast movement, it’s stretched out.

It’s a similar thing with the camera move but in this case the easiest way to accomplish a good look is with a directional blur.

I hope that was helpful and not more confusing!

~Lilly

Great!

~Lilly