problem exporting to quicktime - weird frame rate

I’ve been having a problem exporting TBS files to quicktime files–my quicktime files always come out with these weird frame rates like 4.81 or 7.35… they usually range from 3-9 FPS, I guess it depends on the length of the clip? Under “options” in the export window I’ve been setting my framerate as 29.97. So why isn’t the file exporting as 29.97?!

Hi,

What is the frame rate of your actual project? (File>Animation Properties)

Regards,

Ugo

I set my project as 30 fps.

I guess what I’m really trying to figure out is the best way to go from after effects to toon boom and then from toon boom back to after effects.

What I HAD been doing what this:

1. my original quicktime file was 29.97, which I brought into toon boom in a project with a frame rate of 30 (bc it wouldn’t allow me to have it at 29.97)

2. Then, I did all my lip-synching & exported the file back out as a quicktime with a frame rate of 29.97

3. When I bring the quicktime I just exported from TBS back into AE, the frame rate is not 29.97 as I had set it, but a weird frame rate like 4.81. (I’m guessing it gets this number by calculating the actual different number of mouth shapes that appear per second. Like, for this clip when I scrub thru the first second I can count 5 different mouth shapes that appear.)

Here’s the big problem though (& the reason why I care about all this frame rate stuff): In AE, I have a comp w my original quicktime file and then my new TBS one underneath it. For some bizarre reason I can’t figure out, my TB file is SHORTER in length than my original quicktime file. The number of frames shorter varies slightly from clip to clip, but when I view the waveforms in AE I can definitely see a difference between the QT file and the TB file–the TB one is always shorter.

The best solution I have found is to do it this way:

1. Convert my original QT file (29.97fps) to 30 fps in AE

2. Bring that 30fps QT into TBS in a project set at 30 fps

3. Export my movie as a QT set at 30 fps.

BUT even though that seems logical, when I bring the QT I exported from TBS to AE, sometimes it’s one frame longer (sometimes it lines up properly)

(cont. from previous post) BUT the thing is is that it still doesn’t always line back up (although it is much better than when I was trying to work with QTs at 29.97fps).

Please let me know what the best way to get my files to match up when going between AE & TBS–maybe I’m missing something.

Hi,

After you export the movie did you actually check in the movie itself to check it’s framerate?

We have never been told that the frame that was specified at the export did not actually work. I noticed that the export to 29.97 seemed to be shown as 30 fps in Quicktime though every frame were there. The only time I did see some dropped frame was when I exported to a framerate that was much lower then the frame rate of the project. If you play the movie did you also notice some frame dropped?

Regards,

Ugo

Yup–after I export from TBS is when I get the weird framerates. In quicktime, when I hit apple+I to display the info about that clip, it always gives me some bizarre number for the framerate–usually a number under 10 with two numbers after the decimal point.

…so this usually doesn’t happen? Can you think of why this is happening to me?

I will say that when I work strictly with files that are 30fps it works a little better when I bring my toonboom-synched mouth back into AE, but even then it’s about a frame or two different from the original clip.

Hi,

Just tried here on Mac to make sure and it seems to have exported properly.

I don’t think I asked yet but which version of Toon Boom Studio are you using?

Have you also tried creating another project as a test to see if you get the same behavior. What I did was a project with each frame have a number from 1 to 60 and exported it. I did not notice any frame dropping that way using 30 and 29.97 fps.

Best regards,

Ugo

I’m using TBS 4.5

I tried that test you suggested–I made a project with each frame having a number 1-60 & when I exported to quicktime I didn’t see any frame dropping & quicktime said the frame rate was 30. (although there were two frame #60s… weird.)

But, I tried this test again, this time w/ a project that had numbers 1-6 stretched out over 60 frames (#1 at frame one, then I extended the exposure up to frame 10, #2 at frame 11 w the exposure extended to frame 20, etc. up to 60) When I exported this to quicktime, quicktime said the frame rate was 3 (and in AE the frame rate was 3.02)

So… maybe there’s a problem with the ‘extend exposure’ feature in which quicktime recognizes the extended exposures as only one frame. Which is why for lipsynching, which has lots of extended exposures I always get bizarre frame rate numbers like 4.81 or whatever. Am I making sense? I still don’t know why this is happening.

Hi,

Did further testing and it might have something to do with the codec that was used to export the movie. I noticed that the default Animation codec seems to be adjusting the frame rate on the fly so that it remembers some frames that are held for some reason.

You might want to try different codec, this might give you better results. I did exports with None and seemed to have gotten a constant 30 FPS.

Best regards,

Ugo

Wow!! Yeah, I had been using the Animation codec–but when I tried using ‘None’ the framerate was correct. I can’t believe that’s what it was all along… I wonder why the Animation codec doesn’t work? Oh well.

Thank you so much for your help!!

- jen