please all help

Please no one get mad at me bu i dont want to buy a tutorial i was wondering if you guys could give me helpful tips on pegs and stuff cause i am really struggling with that

thanks all y’all

what exactly u want to make with pegs ?

There are some topics which beg for more in depth and complete answers. A basic conceptual understanding of pegs is such a topic. Now if you use the F1 search in TBS and search for Pegs you can learn a great deal just by reading the information provided. So I suggest that as a first step. You also can search through numerous posts here in these forums for past posted information. As soon as time permits, I want to write up and publish an article where I’ll attempt to consolidate in semi-tutorial form my perspective on pegs and how to interact with them. This is not small task. But when it is complete, I will post a URL link here so that in the future this information will be available to all. This makes more sense than continuously writing the same stuff over and over every few weeks in a different person’s forum post which then just gets buried in the mountain of other threads and is effectively lost in the archives of threads. -JK

i will be reading that article when you get it

hey guys ive been having trouble zooming in the characters because if u go to tools and click zoom it will zoom everything and i just want to zoom for a couple of frames can anyone help please!

The zoom command that you are referring to is only used as a means to change the viewable display of your work while you are navigating around and drawing or compositing. It has no effect of the actual final animation. You can reset the temporary zoom level using the keyboard short cut shift+Z. This temporary zooming is not associated with specific frames it is only for viewing and navigation while working in a particular window panel.

If you want to zoom in your actual movie you need to do that using the camera or using the scaling tool or by changing the location of an element in terms of the z plane (front to back). If you scale an object of element larger it appears to be closer to the viewer and if you scale it smaller it appears to be farther away from the viewer. If move the object or element back in the z direction it gets smaller with respect to the viewer and if you move it forward in the z direction it appears to get larger with respect to the viewer. You can scale each individual object independently to create a sense of depth in your compositions. You can also move the camera closer or farther away to create a trucking or zooming effect to the entire scene. Scaling needs to be keyframed to associate it to specific frames for a specific element. Pegs are use to contain keyframed information. A keyframe is a record of a specific animatable state of an object or element. Various parameters or states of an object or element that can be varied over time are animatable and can be keyframed. This includes conditions like location, scale, skew, rotation etc. To set a keyframed value you use the appropriate scene planning tool to manipulate the object in camera view. Each scene planning tool sets different types of keyframed values. The rotation tool sets just rotation keyframes, the skew tool sets just skew keyframes, the scale tool sets just scale keyframes, the motion tool sets just motion keyframes, the transform tool is universal and sets all types of keyframes. So for very general manipulations you will use the transform tool and for very specific manipulations you will pick the appropriate tool for that specific animatable type keyframe. To animate a series of values over time you need a starting and ending frame with your keyframes set as desired. The frames between the starting and ending keyframes are referred to as a segment. You can specify if the segment is constant or non-constant. The difference is how you want TBS to interpret between the keyframes. A constant segment tells TBS to just jump directly or “snap” between the starting and ending keyframed values. A non-constant segment tells TBS to evaluate and interpret the changes between the starting and ending values based on a function curve which you can adjust. These are the basics of keyframing. Pegs are just containers of keyframed values associated with specific frames and the segments connecting those keyframed values. There are two types of pegs in V3.5. Independent pegs which are primarily used for motion keyframing and embedded pegs which are part of animatable elements like drawing or image elements. You will use the embedded pegs for things like rotation , scaling, skewing, and location keyframes. You can tie elements together and animate or manipulate them as a group using pegs and peg hierarchies. As I stated earlier in this thread I’m going to create a FAQ tutorial that will be a better reference for this subject but in the meantime this posting may help you to start to understand the concepts. -JK

;DThanks alot i really appriciated

Understanding Pegs and How to Utilize Them in Our Animation Work

As promised here is a sort of tutorial that hopefully will give you some additional information about pegs in TBS. -JK

JK, that article is outstanding! Very informative, clear, illustrated, great examples, very comprehensive, and extremely well written.

It should be a sticky in the forum, or otherwise required reading for Toon Boom users.

I agree with Rob, JK. Thank you for taking the time to create this excellent tutorial and sharing it with all of us!

Ron

Thanks for the kind responses, I’m glad you guys found the article useful. I thought I’d share some other feed back and my response.

Yes it is a long article to read and digest, it took me a week, off and on, to write it. First, there are two important pivot points. One for scaling and one for rotation. Each of them can be moved temporarily with the transform tool, but then they reset once you de-select the transform tool. To reposition them permanently, you use the rotation tool to set the rotation pivot point, and you use the scale tool to set the scale pivot point. Some people wonder why there are two separate pivot points instead of just one, the answer is better control. There are times when you want to control how an object rotates differently from how it scales and this way you don’t have to move the pivot point each time you do a scale or rotation on that object.

As to the individual scene planning tools, think of them as custom selection tools. The transform tool is the general purpose selection tool. You use it most of the time to do most of your manipulations because it allows you to set all the different attribute keyed types at the same time. But, when you need to fine tune or tweak a specific type of attribute while not wanting to change the other types of attributes that is when you use one of the “targeted” selection scene tools. So if you don’t want to accidentally mess up your skew or scale keyed frames and you want to adjust your rotation keyed frame, you use the rotation tool instead of the transform tool and it only effects the rotation attribute but not the other attributes. The same is true for the scale tool and the skew tools ect. Many people have the same initial impression that it seems dumb to have separate rotation, scale, skew tools. But it isn’t at all, it is very powerful. Transform is the all in one tool. The other tools are the fine tuning targeted tools that give you greater control when you need it. I covered this in the article, so read it over again and see if it makes more sense the second time.

As to the motion tool, it is used to set up and control motion paths. When you want to have an object or objects follow a path, even a 3D path you can do it with the motion tool using the camera view and the top and side views and control points to shape your 3d path. A conceptual trick to learn is that when you want to do scaling, skewing, rotation type key framing you can use the embedded peg in the individual drawing element itself. But when you want to apply a motion path to your drawing objects it is better to use a separate peg element and attach your other elements to that peg. Again it is all about better control of your animation work. Separating the motion path from the other manipulations allows you greater flexibility and re-usability later. -JK