Pixelated Lines When Inking/Drawing

Hi all

I’m using the Animate Pro 2 PLE to see how I like it, but for some reason when I ink my lines appear pixelated on screen (in the drawing and camera views). What’s the reason for this?

If I mess around w/ the preference settings, I’m able to some-what solve the problem, although I really don’t understand the logic behind it. In the preferences, under OpenGL, I check the “Real-Time Antialiasing” box, and “Full Scene Antialiasing” box, and put the number for “Real-Time” to 4 and “Full Scene” to -1, and that gives me somewhat crisp vector lines in the drawing/camera views. By trial and error I found those number settings to work best, but even these remain not totally crisp.

BUT it makes the program run really slow, and the lines only look crisp when I’m zoomed in just enough to fit the whole image in the screen. If I zoom out or in more, the line starts to degrade.

Can someone please help me with this? I’d like to know if there is a better solution to the pixelate line problem, and if not, what is the logic behind the “Real-Time” and “Full Scene” antialiasing numbers? I don’t understand how they correspond to the line quality. And what is the “OpenGL” anyway? Thanks a lot!

It’s because when you are drawing in OpenGL mode, you are not looking at a representation of what the final image will look like (similar to how 3D apps like Blender don’t show the fully rendered view). You can get a preview of a rendered frame using the ‘Render Preview’ button, and as a general rule, using the realtime anti-aliasing isn’t a good idea because it will hinder performance significantly. Toon Boom is a vector graphics program, which means the shapes and lines on the screen are represented internally by mathematical formulas. This is in constrast to a raster-based graphics like Photoshop or TVPaint, where what you see on the screen is what you are painting. The tradeoff is that raster graphics can’t be scaled without having resolution issues, whereas vector-graphics can be scaled independent of resolution, but you have to ‘render’ the image to see the final result.

You should spend some time watching the tutorials. They go over a lot of this in detail.

(OpenGL, BTW, is a high-performance graphics mode, usually hardware-accelerated by your graphics card – just about any realtime graphics, like in games, is going to be using OpenGL)

Hey, thanks for the reply. Do you know which videos would be good to watch regarding this stuff? I’ve browsed the tutorials but none seem to go over this stuff, at least not on the face of them.

So do I understand this right that there is no way to work where you see what you get?? Like in Illustrator, which is vector based, and the image is displayed as vectors when you are working. This can’t be done in TB?? From some forum searches I gather it was a feature of earlier versions…

btw, where is the render preview button? thanks.

You can, under Edit->Preferences->OpenGL, you can turn on real-time antialiasing, which will work ok for simple scenes, but you will take a performance hit for more complex scenes with FX, textures, etc. Again, you can do a render preview for each frame using the buttons along the bottom of the camera view. But the recommendation is to use non-antialiased camera view to work out your scenes and animations.

Illustrator is not an animation program, so its much easier for it to do this for a single image… when you have to animate in realtime, and do things like interpolation, inverse kinematics, morphing, compositing, etc., it takes a lot more processing power.

There are videos on rendering & compositing (I think it’s pack 22).

Let me see if I can help you out a little bit here:

OpenGL: This term is just used to describe the type of graphics processing we use to display images that you see in the Camera or Drawing View. What you see when you’re working here is a vector line, with no antialiasing on it.

Real-Time Antialiasing: This used to be the only type of antialiasing that we did. The way this one works is that the software itself calculates the size of the image, and on the fly, applies some antialiasing to it. Because the software is performing this operation, at the same time as it is trying to do many other things, this can slow down the software. This one is still available as an option although I don’t recommend its use anymore.

The default value that is set here is 1. So when it’s set to 1, it renders the lines as they appear when you hit the Render button. But if you zoon in a lot on the line, you will see pixellation, because it’s rendering it at the same resolution as the scene output (i.e., if you’re working in HD, it’s rendering an image of the size 1920 x 1080, and this rendered image is not adjusted when you zoom into the Camera View). You could set this to 2 or 4, but you’ll see a big performance hit.

Full-Scene Antialiasing: This is a much better option. You never want to have both Real-Time and Full-Scene on at the same time, because then you’re doubling up on your efforts. Only select this option. What it does with this one, is it uses your graphics card instead to process the antialiasing.

If you’re on a Mac, then you can leave the number here at 4 and then restart the application. If you’re on Windows, then you’ll need to turn on antialiasing in the properties of your graphics driver. So in other words, if you’re using an NVidia card, you have an NVidia interface that lets you set the application settings for antialiasing, and you could set this to 2x or 4x.

~Lilly