Pivot point problem

Hi,

If the files are small enough to send through e-mail that would be the fastest way to proceed. You can send multiple e-mail if you need to send multiple files to avoid clogging up the reception of the message.

Regards,

Ugo

I had a similar issue with floating pivot points as this last fella had, but I removed all keyframes, detached all elements from their parent, and started again. Seems to work (crossing fingers).

Forgive the Flash terminology, but is there a way to reset the registration point for internal pegs in a drawing element? Here’s what happens each time a draw a character: I’ve drawn a man (obviously in the drawing view), cut him apart and placed each part in it’s own element on a hierarchy. When this was finished, I switched to camera view and used the scene select tool to rescale the man (this is all pre-animating, on frame one) and move him slightly. After setting pivot points with the rotate tool, I had to fuss with the joints for some time before they rotated smoothly. (I finally learned the trick of making a separate joint element.) After I’d carved and shaped the body at the shoulder, the upper arm, the elbow, and the forearm to where they needed to be, I again removed any accidental keyframes and reassembled the character. But the green rotate dot and the blue transform dot seem to be registered in areas no where near my character. This obviously caused a problem as I’m trying to set pivot points.

How is the pose, scale, position of a character in frame one in the camera view related to the pose, scale, and position in the drawing view? Is this what’s making the registration points go haywire?

Sidenote: As you mentioned in one of your tutorials, JK, the cut out character is very much like a puppet. However, I would qualify the comparison; this isn’t a puppet you buy, shove your hand up its behind, and then start with the talking. Seems to me it’s like buying a bunch of wood, cutting those pieces into a jig-saw puzzle, then putting the puzzle pieces together until you have a puppet in which your hand will fit.

In drawing view the pivot point is located at the origin of the grid which is the center at 0,0. All pivot point changes are referenced as a coordinate off-set from that origin position.

If you draw or move your character in drawing view in a position away from the center of the grid, the pivot point is still going to be in the center of the grid not the center of your drawing object.

But let’s not confuse drawing view and camera view because you can edit a drawing in either view. Let’s instead call it “on the cell” because your drawing object is located on a cell. The referenced pivot point is the center of that cell.

When you scale or reposition that drawing object using a scene operations tool you are actually scaling or repositioning the cell itself. But if you use one of the drawing tools to edit the drawing object in anyway you are changing the cell itself. It isn’t a matter of which view you are using it is a matter of what you are editing, the cell’s scale or orientation or the drawing on the cell.

So when you go to set the pivot point in camera view the original pivot point will still be off-set from your drawing based on where that drawing was made on the cell. That is why when you look at some body parts the original pivot point seems closer or farther away from the body part. It is based on where that body part is placed in regards to the center of the cell itself. It’s initial location is determined by where the drawing object resides in reference to the center of the grid on the cell.

So when you set a pivot point, its new position still references the original origin point position which is always the center of the cell. Its new location is always relative to that center of the cell position.

Now you go into either drawing view or camera view and you reposition the drawing object using a drawing tool, you edit the cell itself. Your pivot point appears to have floated because it is not referencing the drawing object that you moved or edited it is referencing the original pivot point, the center of the cell, which has not moved. -JK

hello how are you ?
please exporta22 contact me this is my email. fouzdo9@hotmail.com