Performance advice for large, heavy scenes

Hi there, I work in a studio that has been working with harmony for several years, and the performance has always been extremely slow. Large scenes with multiple fully rigged characters (many cutters and deformers) take ages to animate. I would love to know if there’s a way to upgrade our computers in order to eliminate a delay (sometimes up to or exceeding 10 seconds) whenever a peg or drawing layer is selected. I would like to know if there is way to eliminate lag all together. Please understand, we use, and have tried, every possible way to improve performance, based off every harmony thread regarding this topic. while animating we make sure only 1 character is displayed at a time, or 1 FX. with special FX that are long drawing sequences, the performance is slow enough to keep harmony unresponsive for upwards of 10 minutes. Copy and pasting keys can also be unbearably long.

Here is our studio computer specs:

Model: HP z240 Tower workstation

cpu : Xeon E3-1240 v5 @3.5GHz

Ram: maxed out at 32gb

Hard drives: 250gb solid state

Graphics card: Nvidia Quadro P2000 and K2200’s are used in the machines

- on top of these, we have also tested a GTX1080ti in one of the machines, with absolutely zero performance increase. The graphics card simply isnt even used while harmony is operating. the fans never come on, and the utility window shows just about zero use. 

What can we do to relieve stress from our animators? Am I able to get a response from a software engineer? Is this software able to run reliably and without a hickup? or does every studio using toon boom harmony suffer lag?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

• Jonah

Sometimes even a system with a good graphic card can perform poorly due
to the system also trying to use the less than optimal onboard Intel card.

Try going into the NVidia Control Panel to make a custom profile for Harmony.

Set the OpenGL rendering CPU to the GTX1080ti.
Set the Power Management mode to “Prefer Maximum Performance”
Close and reopen Harmony.

If it’s still slow contact support and provide a scene or template to examine.
Sometimes issue are caused by the way in which a character is rigged.

1 Like

Can you please give a more detailed description on how to create a custom profile? I’ve looked in my NVidia Control Panel and have not been able to find how to create a custom profile.

Granted, I have an NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card, so the Control Panel may work differently.

Thanks!