Pegs

Hello…

I am working on a Mac in V 3.5.

I was wondering, with Pegs do we have to set every Key Frame? Or, can is there a way to set the amount of key frames we want that peg to have?

I am basically just trying to get my elements to move across the screen normally.

Best,

Evan Jacobs

Evan,
There is often significant confusion as to the meaning of terms particularly when different software applications use similar terms differently. Key frame is one of those often confused terms. Flash use the term key frame to designate any unique frame cell in a layer, while Toon Boom uses key frame more correctly as a keyed or designated parameter value that is set on a peg or animatable element to establish a starting or ending condition of an object.

Therefore each independent peg, or built-in peg included as part of an animatable element, can include keyed values for parameters assigned to each associated frame that the peg occupies in the timeline. Keyed values establish conditions, positions, for various animatable parameters such as rotation, location, motion, skew, and scale.

To facilitate the animation of a parameter, such as rotation for example, a value is keyed to a frame for the rotational state of the objects attached to a peg and then on some later sequential frame for that peg a different rotational value could be set for those same object’s rotational parameter. Then the software can interpolate, calculate, the incremental changes in those two keyed rotational values to automatically inbetween that rotational change between the starting and ending keyed frames. The mathematical curve that controls that calculation between parameter values along a segment of a peg is referred to as a function curve.

So a peg can span across a number of frames, and for each frame that is occupied by that peg you can, if desired, set many different types of keyed parameters. (rotation, location, motion, skew, scale) You can on any frame set a seperate keyed value for each of these different animatable parameters. You can set as many or as few types of parameter keys on each frame as you need to accomplish your desired resulting animation. The type of keyed parameter set on a particular frame depends on which scene plannimg tool you have selected when you go to animate the pegged object. The transform tool is universal and sets all keyable parameters, the rotation tool only sets rotational keys, the skew tool only sets skew keys, the motion tool only sets motion keys, the scale tool only sets scale keys.

So the answer to your question is that you need to set only those specific keyed frame parameters that you want to set on whichever frames you desire to set them. There is no requirement that you set any key framed parameters at all. They are totally under your control to be used exactly when and how you want to use them. To have the software assist in animating requires only two keyed frames, a starting frame and an ending frame which are connected by a series of frames called a segment. The connecting segment can be set as constant which means that there will be no interpolation of the change between the starting and ending value, or the segment can be set as non-constant which means that the inbetween values will be calculated based on an applied function curve. This latter process is referred to as “tweening”. So on a peg there is a requirement for a minimum of two frames to be keyed for a parameter to establish a tweened segment. -JK

Thank you for your informative answer.

I am just trying to make my movements movie fluid. It seems like my elements only moves between between key frames. So it will start, then it sit still… then it will move to a keyframe. Sit still. Then move to another keyframe.

How do I make it more fluid?

as jk says, set those segments between the keyframes to non-constant and manipulate the motion path curves in the function editor (top right) → ease-in/-out, a.s.o., after choosing the velocity from the function drop-down menu.

the usual mode is a non-constant one (the constant segment check box is grayed out in the function editor).
you can edit the mode by right clicking on the peg bar in the timeline.
cheers,
rob

Thank you both very much!

I am starting to get the hang of this again.

It is so jarring because I made a 78 minute movie with this program (the original rough cut was 108!)…

What threw was the whole keyframe bit… however, in V 3.5 the PEGS seem easier to manipulate than in V 2.5.

I am going to buy the manual… but thank you guys again. I can’t wait to get better with this program.

What can you offer up about the new text option?

I was utlizing PHOTOSHOP for that in my movie.

Thank you again,

-Evan

Buying the hard copy manual is a waste of money. Use the help system built into the program it is excellent. As Mathieu always points out, just use the search feature of the help system, it is outstanding. Also, take advantage of these forums, if you ask questions you can get very detailed help right here. Also take the time to read thru the threads for the past six or eight months here in these forums as they are packed with information.

One of the areas of deficiency in previous versions of TBS was the lack of a text tool or at least a proper text tool. This has been addressed in V3 and continued in V3.5 and TBS now has a text tool that is functionally like that of Flash. You can add text and set all of the usual parameters. You can also select a text object and by using the break apart menu command the text is separated into individual text objects for each character. And just as in Flash, if you apply the break apart command twice to a text object it is converted into a filled shape.

Text objects can be transformed (moved, rotated, skewed, and scaled) and as expected when converted to being a filled shape they can also be deformed to your heart’s content.

So by using the break apart command twice your text is no longer a text object for the purposes of being editable with the text tool but now that it is converted to a drawn shape which you then can contort and animate to produce all sorts of cartoon like activities.

Additionally, You might want to produce two initial drawings with your text. One where you leave it as a text object and a copy of that drawing where you break it apart into drawn shapes that way you have both forms to play with in your animation work. And if you really want to go crazy you can just keep copying the drawn version of the “text shape” and paste it into new drawings where you can do all sorts of character animation with the individual letter shapes.

All in all, the text tool does what you want and need for a text tool to do. -JK

JK!

Thank you again for the informative response…

Main reason for buying the manual would be to have things in a hardcopy form. However, I made my entire movie using the old TBS manual, the help manual, and this forum.

I will probably take you up on what you and hold off.

Is there a dropdown menu to change the text size and font?

-Evan

It is much easier than that, there is a TEXT tab in the properties panel with all of the needed parameter selections available. -JK

and why not print the whole pdf-manual out?
i did it with four pages on one, double-sided (i.e. 8 pages on one). this makes the whole 452 pages a 60-page document in a hard copy (as for the v3.0 version, but the new one won’t be much bigger).
cheers,
rob