pegs vs transform?

What is the difference between moving an object with the Transform tool vs using a peg?

I know how to use both but they seem to do the same thing.

Lee

pegs are a great way of storing animation.

For a larger project it is the way to go cause if you deselect the peg, the animation is removed on the drawing. Try it :slight_smile:

If i am doing a quick animation I will just animate the drawing layer.

Yeah, pegs work great! My problem is sometimes trying to keyframe the peg and accidentally keyframing the element. How do you avoid that?

Ah, ok so Lilly sort of explained my misconception which is they don’t move objects they move layers which is like moving the whole page? I come from a cg background but also have some experience with 2d paper process. I guess since you can use the transform tool with cut out puppets I thought it was moving parts of a drawing. So I guess the cut outs are on a separate layer so it is moving the whole layer too?

If this is the case then I guess each thing you want to move with either a peg or transform tool must be on its own layer. Is that right?

Can you adjust the curves for pegs or transforms the same or does pegs have more control over the curve and timing?
lee

One thing that I want to clarify here - the transform tool is used to animate both peg layers and drawing layers. So what you’re really asking is what’s the difference between animating a drawing layer and animating a peg layer.

The thing that I like about using peg layers is that it keeps your keyframes separate from your drawings, so if you want to drag and drop keyframes, you won’t accidentally drag the drawings, and vice versa.

A good way to keep from accidentally selecting the drawing layer is to go into the tool properties of your Transform tool and select “Peg Selection Mode”. This will automatically select the peg instead of the drawing.

You can also select the drawing and then hit the shortcut B to go up to the parent layer and this will select the peg.

Hope this helps.

~Lilly

So yes everything that you want to animate with the Transform tool must be on its own layer.

A peg is also its own layer. The only difference between a peg layer and a drawing layer is that a peg cannot contain a drawing. So you can have a peg layer that contains information for rotation, scale, and position. Now the point of having a peg layer is that anything that is a child of your peg layer will inherit the transforms of the peg layer.

If you think of it in a traditional sense, then you would be attaching your drawings to a peg and then moving the peg around under your camera. Same concept.

So indeed, every time you want to move something you need to make sure that it’s on its own layer. Then, you can also choose to make a layer a child of a peg layer, and any movements that you make on the peg will be added to any movements that have already been made on that drawing.

The curves are the same. If you look in the timeline, and you see each layer has a + sign to the left of the name, if you click on that + it will expand to show all of the functions that are associated with that layer. So once you’ve created some keyframes you can double-click on one of these functions to edit the curve.

~Lilly