pegging drawing paths using z-axis

I want to make a pegged cut-out puppet. I have a full front view and a 3/4 view in-progress. I want the arms to overlap the torso in my front view, but tuck behind my torso when that arm is the far arm in the 3/4 view. I have no problem with pegs for each frame in the drawing path having a location which moves with the position in the joint as the body rotates when I am only using the x or y axis, but I can’t figure out how to get the same result in the z axis? Can anyone help me out?

I’d like to see whether I can help but I don’t understand your question.

Can you rephrase it?

Based on what you said and your jpeg, the upper arms would not fully overlap the torso in a front view. Depending on their position the lower 3/4’s of the arm might overlap the torso. The joint at the shoulder would share the same plane with the torso and not overlap it in a front view.

When the upper arm and shoulder start to overlap the torso it would be twisting into a 3/4 view and would no longer be a front view. In this case the lower body might retain the front view while the torso twisted into a 3/4 view. WIth this in mind you could design the character so versions of the upper and lower body can be matched front to 3/4 views.

The jpeg represents what I want to achieve. However, I cannot because…

The front view is centered on the y axis and the shoulder sits to the side of the centerline. As the body rotates the shoulder (and therefore the shoulder peg) should sit closer to the center line, and somewhere in between when in 3/4 view. I have no problem achieving this by setting pegs for different drawing frames at different coordinates as long as they are x and y axis.

I want to also move the peg coordinates on the z axis and the tools I’m using to succeed in x and y axis don’t seem to recognize the z axis. I have 3d checked in the layer properties for both the drawing layer and the pivot layer the drawing is parented too, so it isn’t that setting.

I don’t think I can understand the problem without seeing a sequence of images representing stages of what you have done in the software.