PDF export result Low Resolution images

Hello. I have just buyed Toon Boom Storyboard. I did all my images in Photoshop and then pasted them in toon Boom´s panels. When exporting to PDF the result of the Image Resampling is a LOW QUALITY image in every panel.The images look OK inside ToonBoom. The problem shows when exporting. Is there any way to get better result in PDF files?HELP PLEASE!!!

When you say pasted in, how exactly do you mean?The two ways to import images from Photoshop into Storyboard are with Storyboard > Import Images as Scenes, or Layer > Import Images as Layers. Which one of these did you use?Is it possible that your initial Photoshop image was smaller than the exported image? If that’s the case, then you’ll get some bluriness. Otherwise, then you need to raise the dpi level of the pdf file. You can do this by adjusting the pdfoptions.xml file in the preferences. You can find it in the following location:Mac:/Library/Preferences/Toon Boom Animation/Toon Boom Storyboard/pdfoptions.xmlWin:C:\Documents and Settings<username>\Application Data\Toon Boom Animation\Toon Boom Storyboard\pdfoptions.xmlFirst close Storyboard. Copy this file to the desktop. Open it with a text editor (wordpad on windows, textedit on mac). Scroll down to find the pdf export option that you’re using. You will see that there is a group of settings for each export type - i.e. three panel horizontal, full page, etc. If you’re seeing this problem you’re most likely in Full Page, so scroll down to that section. You should be able to find an entry for dpi. It should look like this: Replace the 150 with a higher value (maybe try 300). Now save the file and drag it back into the folder for your preferences, overwriting the old file. Now reopen Storyboard and try to export your pdf again. Now does it look better?~LillyToon Boom Support

EDIT: MY FAULT. I FOUND THE FILE, EDITED IT AND THE PDF LOOKS NICE.THANKS A LOT LILLYV.(but it does a extrange thing arranging the panels in the PDF)_______________________Thanks for the reply lillyV. But I have the standard release of STORYBOARD, not the PRO one. And when I go to:"Username>/Library/Preferences/Toon Boom Animation/Toon Boom Storyboard/"There is no “pdfoptions.xml” file . only a “Storyboard.pref” one. Inside it the is no “DPI” word or “150” number. The only thing related to PDF is this string:EXPORT_DLG_PDF_DESTINATION_FILE_PATTERN ""EXPORT_DLG_PDF_DESTINATION_PATH "/Users/Ander Mendia/Desktop/output.pdf"EXPORT_DLG_PDF_EXPORT_ALL YEXPORT_DLG_PDF_EXPORT_CURRENT NEXPORT_DLG_PDF_EXPORT_LIST ""EXPORT_DLG_PDF_EXPORT_SOME NEXPORT_DLG_PDF_EXPORT_TRACKEDPANELS NEXPORT_DLG_PDF_LAUNCH_PLAYER YThe images I did inside photoshop had a 1920X1080 resolution. Then when importing then as LAYER to toonBoom Storyboard, they looked OK.:frowning: :’(

Excellent! I’m glad you got it working.~LillyToon Boom Support

HI , I use SP by just sketching in it ,even though I tried the above method of changing the text file to 300 dpi, the image quality is still very low ( pixelated) compare to what I see in SP.Although the pdf file is bigger than previous, the image quality is still pretty much same. Is it possible to export a pdf with sharper image? Eve

I double-checked and the PDFOptions is the only way to modify the DPI. Other than that, we’re not sure exactly what you mean is going on. Perhaps you could include a screenshot of what you see in the software and what you see in the PDF export and explain what you would like to see differently?

~Lilly

I am unable to locate this file path? Is this still the only way to fix low res pixelated pdfs?
I’ve included comparison.

~Ardmore

@Ardmore this thread is 11 years old, should have started a new one in the Storyboard Pro section.

What Storyboard Pro Version/build are you using?

1 Like

Thank you @steenbeck for responding. I realized after posting how old this thread is. woops!
I’m using Storyboard pro 20.0.2 on Windows 10.
While responding I stopped and tried changing the pdf export>page tab>paper setting to A3, with image resolution left at 150 in the panels tab and the export is much clearer, and higher res.
I’ll play with other paper configurations, such as custom, which I think will grant even higher resolution pdfs. I believe I have solved my problem.

1 Like