PC User: Which video editing software

I learned alot from this post http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/animate/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=2112, thanks to all!

Any idea how to tackle this same problem on the pc side?

I’ve been exporting my movies as then editing in Adobe Premiere Pro, and burning to DVD through Adobe Encore. I’ve experienced the following obstacles:

1.) diminished color quality
2.) jumpy image (it seems to skip just slightly, hard for some people to notice…but I do)
3.) DVD only plays in 1 of 2 DVD players (both are manufactured by Sony)

I’m exporting my video as follows:

Compression: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Quality: Best
Scan Mode: Progressive
Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Under these settings Animate does not allow me to change the Data rate…it is currently set to Optimized for: Download.

Am I using the wrong export settings?

Should I be using the MPEG-4, or Animation compression types?

After exporting the move from Animate, I then combine all the scenes and additional audio in Adobe Premiere Pro. The quality remains the same there (at least in the playback window). Finally I export to Adobe Encore for DVD burning using the NSTC Medium Quality Encoding Setting (NSTC 720x480, 29.7 non-drop fps) - this may be where my problem occurs. Going to do some test, but if anyone has already discovered the answer to this problem I will appreciate your advice.

Extra:

While writing this post I started playing with the encoding settings in Adobe Premiere Pro. I can edit the bitrate (VBR vs CBR), TV standard (PAL vs NTSC), Frame rate, and GOP settings.

Question, PAL vs NTSC? (this movie will be viewed primarily on DVD)
Bitrate: VBR, 2 Pass, vs CBR?

Finally, can anyone explain the importance of the Minimum, Target & Maximum bitrate?

Thanks,

Z

I use Sony Vegas Pro. It gives good result with smaller file size. I haven’t used much of Adobe Premiere though… but I really had some bad time with it. I guess you’ll find a trial version of Vegas Pro and if you like using it, you can go ahead & buy the product.

Thanks, will do.

FYI

I’ve found that by utilizing the export to movie function vs the export to encore I’m provided with a plethora of additional compression options. I’m going to play around with the possibilities.