paper texture

Hi,
I need to give more texture to my animation. compositing in after effects allows me to layer paper which gives a pretty result. of course, this has the limitation of having the paper stay in place while the characters “travel” on it. I’ve tried using paper as texture within Animate, but it’s too hard to achieve something stable. is there a convenient way using, say, a mask, that would not only reveal the paper layer, but also, somehow displace it accordingly? while writing this it does seem unlikely otherwise than with the texture painting but maybe someone out there can suggest something?
thx
Pierre

Hi Pierre,

not sure what methods you have tried or how complex you needed it to get. But have you tried this?

You have the shape that you want the texture to be shown within on one layer then the texture on another. In network view add the cutter module. Attach both the drawing and texture layer to the cutter. Make sure you add the texture layer to the right hand connector and the shape it is to go into on the left. Then add a peg module and attach that to both the drawing layer and texture layer.

If you then ensure you only ever animate the Peg, the texture will move locked to the shape it is contained within.

You could repeat this for every body part or shape… hope that may have helped, if unclear i can always throw a quick video together to show you, let me know.

Toonist | Animate Pro User | Apple Mac Addict

Twitter @jasonvenus
www.youtube.com/user/Illustriate
www.facebook.com/drawmill
www.drawmill.com

Hi, forgot to mention in previous post, had you tried just simply creating a new colour using the ‘new texture’ right click option in the colour pallet ? I think the texture needs to be a Targa file to work…

Toonist | Animate Pro User | Apple Mac Addict

Twitter @jasonvenus
www.youtube.com/user/Illustriate
www.facebook.com/drawmill
www.drawmill.com

thx for these suggestions, i’m trying all this and also using texture in the underline layer (or whatever its called) and then adding some normal color in the color layer with transparency) kind of works, but then I still have to line them up one by one with the texture edit tool, and copy/paste very long indeed.