Painting problems.

Bit of a Toon Boom noob. I am use to making my cartoons with MS Paint and Windows Movie Maker. Now getting Toon Boom Animate, I’ve upgraded quite significantly. I’m not having a terrible time learning the software, and I feel quite comfortable using it. But I’m having some troubles that I can’t seem to comprehend on my own. While painting, it needs to be in an enclosed space? So say I draw a square with a black outline. With the paint tool, it fills inside that square. Cool. Got it. The problems lies with…let’s say, my current problem…I’ve constructed a house using a wide variety of different shapes. Added detail onto that house, such as panels for windows, trim around the boarders, etc etc. But now when I paint it, some areas are painted together. So if I paint the roof’s trim, the entire roof is painted that color. Now I’ve gone through and made sure there were no open gaps, and yet this problem still occurs. I can only think that in MS Paint I was working with pixels, where when I paint/draw sometime in TB it’s different. So if anyone can help me understand that would be great. Are lines allowed to intersect such as an X and still have the spaces painted? I don’t get why if these areas are closed off while they are still be painted with other areas.

THANKS IF ANYONE HAS HELP! So far I am really loving the software. The perspective tool quite impressive.

You can use the close gap tool to draw an invisible stroke .

Also the paint tool has some auto close gap settings which might help.

I think you just have some small gaps you don’t realise.

I’ll check it out. They would have to be…super small. I zoomed in and went over everything. Tried the invisible strokes…etc. But I’ll keep seeing what I can figure out. Thanks! And any more advice is welcomed!

Guys. I love you. ALL OF YOU lol. I think that worked. You don’t understand. I been trying to get Toon Boom for so long. Learn how to animate and produce some work. All day long at work this is what I think about. And running into a problem I know can be fixed is so, so so frustrating. But I think that worked. Thank you so much. I still SEE no gaps, even zoomed in entirely. But the close gap in the tool properties I think does the trick.

Spoke to soon I think hah…still trying to figure out the problem.

Could you post a picture so I can see what you are trying to do because I am not totally sure.

Yes I will. I think maybe the problem is the close gap would work, but I have to many lines intersecting. Maybe. I’ll get a pic.

Intersecting lines shouldn’t be giving you an issue. When lines intersect there is no gap because they are overlapping.

Say you draw a circle by hand (instead of using the circle tool), the place that gives you issues is where you closed the circle normally.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z402/Rjbabbit/Image111720111904392.jpg

Yeah I hear ya. The problem HAS, HAS to be with gaps. But going through I can’t find any, and even using the close gap tool it doesn’t work. I have to assume it’s because I have A LOT of lines here. Here are only a few examples. There are more spots like that one the house. Especially in the windows. But as I have said, I just do not see any open gaps as I zoom in and go over the lines.

Are all the lines are on the drawing?

Have you tried using the auto close gaps in the paint tool (try setting it to auto close large gaps)?

by the way if you are using the pencil/line/polyline tool, the actual boundary of the line for purposes of gaps appears to be the blue line that appears down the middle not what you visually see painted.

Yes, all of the lines are on the same drawing layer. I have used the auto gap tool while using the paint bucket. NOW, I was unaware of the blue line down the middle. That’s when I “Show all strokes” correct?

Yeah when you show strokes.

It applies to pencil tool and all the shape tools.

Brush strokes are different as they are points around the edge.

Either way I have never really had big issues with the paint bucket other than the occasional overflow which normally could be fixed with the auto tools. The drawing you have really shouldn’t be giving you major headaches.

Yep! All is great information guys. And I mos def started keeping all things in mind when I started the second scene of the animation. Thanks so, so, so much.

I’m going to be posting a few questions a week I’m sure, but I do try and look before I post. Anyone got a good location on a thread about choosing resolution format? I will be uploading to the internet eventually, youtube, etc. And I understand the ratio purposes, but unsure of which is best for the internet.

-Ronnie

Here’s a couple of tricks that can help you. First, turn on Show Strokes. As The Raider mentioned, it’s the line down the centre on a pencil line that is the important thing.

If you see a yellow point on the end of the line, then it means that line is not connected to anything. So that’s your first clue.

Also, when you’re constructing something with the Line tool, it’s handy to turn on the Snap to Contour in the Tool Properties, so that when you start drawing a line it will snap and connect automatically to the closest line.

When drawing with the pencil or line tool, it can also be helpful to turn on the Auto Close Gap in the Tool Properties. The problem with the pencil or line tools is that if the line is quite thick, then it looks like the line is connected, but if you were to select that line and scale it down, then you’d see that it wasn’t quite connected - but the Auto Close Gap can help with this.

Now you’ve already drawn your house, so this doesn’t really help you with that, but here’s a couple of ways to fix something you’ve already drawn:

1) Close Gap tool with Show Strokes on. Look for those pesky yellow ends and connect them up.

2) Contour Editor tool with Snap to Contour on in the Tool Properties. If you go in with your Contour Editor tool, you can actually move the points that aren’t connected together until they fuse. Turn on the Snap to Contour so that they snap together easily.

Hope this helps!

~Lilly