open walk cycle tutorial

;D ok guys check this link , and please give me feedback where i am doing mistake ? or how can i improve it ! thanks :wink:
http://www.zippyvideos.com/7361874466083696/wc/
or try this http://216.86.150.60/videos/0/608369_7fd49.swf

Bravo Awais you are making progress.

Here are a few tips for you to consider. First, observation is an important part of learning to animate. So I suggest that you actually go out and watch people walk and try to observe the different aspects of how a real walk looks. Secondly analysis is important too. So when you study other animations try to analyse what was done and figure out why.

In the example you used as a reference notice that the character’s head shoulders and body are following an arc vertically as the character progresses this is the same as what you would observe in the real world. There are at a minimum three directions of motion in a walk. There is, of course, the forward movement, there is also an up and down movement and there is a counter balancing rotational movement as best seen in the hips and shoulders.

As to the mechanics of TBS you seem to be doing OK learning to manipulate the software, but you also will want to go back on your peg and add non constant segments between each of your keys to add some smoothing.

One additional tip is when animating a walk for example you would want to include the ground as a reference so that you can watch the relative positions of the legs and feet as well as get a better sense of the weight of the character pushing off and landing on contact to the ground.

As I wrote to you before without regard for operating the software and using the animating aids you have to work to better understand the principles of basic animation. But all in all a great beginning, bravo. -JK

thanku so much JK for ur all guidance ,yes i used this webpage http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml as a reference , i think its very helpful for all beginners like me , i understand what ur talking about , i will try to analyze real walkcycle in our daily life , but here i tried to move upper part of der der character and also his hip but i couldn’t get best results , u will see it in new walk cycle clip , actually i moved Hip and Upper torso pegs up and down movement to produce better results !
check new clip ,here im only displaying output file
http://www.zippyvideos.com/3812171776088726/output/ (quick time )
http://www.zippyvideos.com/7168751956088736/output/ (flash)

sorry how can i do it , can u explain me more briefly please ! espacially how can i add more smoothing in it , i enabled “snap last keyframe” command before doing walkcycle ,is that matter ?

awais,
well done :slight_smile:
apart from some floating of the feet, a great job. keep on working :slight_smile:
cheers,
rob

thank u rob ;D but it is nothing …we all know that DEr DEr is a pre made character comes along with v3 , i think real problem lies when u do same proces with ur own character and its not necessary that every character pocess same kind of legs movement it may vary, am i right ?

yeah, it depends on how the character is like. you know: personality, one of the old 12 animation principles :wink:
cheers,
rob

Awais,
From watching the video it appears that you are placing your keyframes on every other frame which means that the even numbered frames were holds or repeats of the previous frame. If you collapse your walk cycle peg and go to each frame that has a keyframe and then select element>pegs>set non constant segment you will see a line added between the keyframes which indicates that a tween now occupies that inbetween frame instead of a repeat. This will smooth out your movement a little.

Snap to last keyframe just means that when you create a keyframe the next frame will conform to the previous keyframe and then you can modify it from there. It is just an aid to helping you get your poses in sync.

Now here is a little known trick that will help you or anyone else that uses keyframed animation and tweening. You can tween or not tween each parameter individually. It is all controlled by which scene planning tool you currently have selected. If you have the transform tool selected when you set a nonconstant segment between keyed frames then all key framed parameters for those keyed frames are tweened. But, it you select one of the specific targeted tools like rotation, scale, location, skew and then set a nonconstant segment or set a constant segment then that setting is only applied to the type of keyed framed parameter that is associated with the tool you have selected. So between keyed frames you can selectively tween or not tween individual parameters as appropriate for your animation. This gives you significant control of your animation as you tweak it to get the desired effects. For those people who don’t understand the purpose of the key framing tools other than the transform tool this is one of the major benefits and also one of the distinctions between TBS and Flash. To the best of my knowledge this level of control isn’t easily available in Flash. -JK

this walk cycle is composed of 15 frames and i put 8 key frames in it means there exits a difference of 2 frames between key frames i think :slight_smile:
and it is already selected as “set non constant segment” …i think it is by default choice by studio …and i think ur talking about tweening in between key frames …i never did animation without tweening so far ;D

JK i tried to understand 3rd paragraph of ur recent reply .i am sorry i couldn’t understand …may be i am too young in using studio or its beyond my imagination although i tried to understand by using different scene planning tools but couldn’t get what ur trying to teach me ::)???

Awais,
I’m glad to see that you got the tweening to work in your animation. As a general rule when doing cut out animation I prefer to work with constant segments until I finish posing my keys and then selectively turn on the tweens between keys as I fine tune the animation. Some times you will turn on tweening between two keys and not totally like the results. That will then prompt you to do some additional key setting on those inbetween frames. This is all part of the fine tuning of your animation process.

As to the third paragraph. Each segment between key frames for each type of key framed parameter has a function curve that describes how the tween for that parameter will be created. Adjusting these function curves allows you great control of the inbetweening. In addition you don’t have to tween all parameters between two key frames. You might want to tween some of the parameters and not others. For example you might want the scaling to be tweened but not the skewing. You want a tweened transition for the scaled values but you want the skewed values to snap between the poses. (this is just a generic example to illustrate the point) Now if you set all your keyed values using the transform tool and then you set a nonconstant segment between the keys with the transform tool selected, then all the keyed parameters would be tweened. (this is because the transform tool targets all types of keyed parameters) But if when you set the nonconstant segment you just had the scale tool selected then only the scale parameters would be tweened and other keyed parameters would not. Thus by using specific key frame targeted tools (rotation, location, scale, skew) when setting nonconstant segments you can turn on the tweening for just that specific keyed parameter. Or conversley if you set nonconstant segments with the transform tool selected, you could then select the skew tool (for this example) and set a constant segment and only the skew parameter would be affected IE it would not be tweened between the two keys. Hopefully this is more clearly described-JK

:othank u so much JK for great explanation , i really appreciate it :slight_smile:

http://www.toonboom.com/showcase/index.php?type=swf&id=106&Student_Projects=&

check it !

is it cut out animation clip? if yes then i want to do similar kind of animation too ::slight_smile:

Awais,
That is a form of limited animation and it certainly can be done using similar techniques to cut outs. I suggest that you take a look at the most recent “work out” series on four legged walks which explains this type of animation very well. -JK