Newbie lip synching frustration

Help Help!
I have been trying to do a simple lip sync in Animate.
It is driving me daft. I been following the manual, I think correctly.

Sequence:
I draw the mouth shapes according to the default. I name them abcdefgx.
Hay presto the drawings disappear!
OK I’ll do it another way, I name them first before I do the shapes.
Success, the drawings are still there.
I import the sound file. I righthand click the file in the Xsheet and choose the auto lip sync option, it does its stuff and all looks as it should only that the drawings of the mouth shapes have disappeared, and when I play it back, no mouths just sound.
Help what am I doing wrong???

What you need to do is you need to name the cells A, B, C, D, E, F, G, X BEFORE you do the drawing. What it sounds like you’re doing is you’re drawing the mouths - when you draw the mouths without giving them a name first, it will assign them a name - probably 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Then when you “rename” the cells, you’re not actually renaming them.

Let me explain. If I do a drawing without naming it first, it names it “1”. If I look in the Xsheet, then I can see a number “1” on that cell. This is actually the drawing’s name. So I could go to cell 5, and type “1”, and this drawing will appear on that cell.

I can also double-click on my cell “1” in the timeline and hit “A”. What this does is it deletes the exposure of drawing 1, and instead replaces it with the exposure of drawing A. Since there is no drawing A yet, A is blank.

For your info, if you do reach this stage, there are two ways of proceeding. Either you can right-click drawing “1” in the x-sheet, and select “Rename Drawing” and then type A, and now you can do the lip sync like normal.

Or, you could do the lip sync without renaming your drawings. If you know what the mouth names are (they’re probably 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) then this is what you can do is when you select “Map Lip Sync”, in this dialog, there are rows for A, B, C, D, E, F, G, X, that all have line edits next to them. In those line edits you can type the name of the mouths that you already have. So in my case, it would end up looking like

A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5
F 6
G 7

What this means is that whenever it has the mouth shape “A”, it will map it to the drawing named “1” in the selected drawing layer.

Okay, so let’s say you’ve got the mapping figured out. To double-check if the auto lip-sync worked, what you should do is double-click on the sound icon of the sound layer in the timeline to bring up the Sound Element Editor dialog. Click on the waveform on the top to select it, then right-click and select “Auto Lip Sync”. Does a little dialog pop up showing you that it’s processing? It should say computing lip sync data. If this is finished, then click on the play button to play back the sound. Do you see the little mouth on the right hand side speaking with the automatic mouth shapes?

If it didn’t work, let me know. If it did, close the sound editor. Now right-click on the first cell of the sound layer in the timeline and select Lip Sync > Map Lip Sync. Make sure that you have the correct layer selected that you want to map the lip sync to. Make sure you have the correct mouth names in the right hand side, as I stated above.

When you click okay, does it work?

If no, then double-check to make sure that the sound was detected properly. Go to the x-sheet and right-click on the sound layer. Select Sound Display > Mouth Shapes. Does the column now look like it’s filled with the correct mouth shapes? Do the letters in this column match the letters in your mouth column?

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

http://www.cartoonsmart.com/animate_lip_sync.php5

good to see he has something new :smiley:

I have a 4 part tutorial on setting up mouths and using autolipsync in my youtube channel too.

Thanks guys I think I have it cracked, I have also found a way of extending the mouth shapes over the the blank frames that automatically are made when auto lip syncing. I would still like to make the the mouth shapes fit the the dialogue better so that each word is more emphasised.
Can I send you the piece I was working on for comments?
Cheers :slight_smile:

easiest way is to post it on youtube (if you don’t want it viewable by someone finding it by search you can make it url only, so only people you give the url too will be able to find it) then give a link here.