New User Questions

I am a completely new user to TBS. Aside from some stop-motion animation on video many moons ago (including clay and paper cut-outs), my most recent “animation” experience has been animated GIFs. And, they have been rather labor intensive–zooming in, for example, requiring that I enlarge the artwork frame by frame–and there is no sound track.

The online demos sold me on TBS (like the ant running on fire!); well, that and I have been drooling over it for quite a while, but did not have a computer capable of running it. But, as of a couple weeks ago, I do so the July promo was timely.

Anyway, I haven’t gotten it installed yet (just downloaded yesterday), but I have been reading the forums and peeking through the user guide. And, I have a couple questions…

I think the answer to this one is “no” but I will ask anyway. Is there a way to import a QuickTime movie and use it as a background so that I can animate over top of it? I have some tutorials I need to do, and thought it would be cool if I could have an animated character pointing things out.

Next question, how difficult or labor intensive is it to import vector art (from Adobe Illustrator) and prepare it for cut-out animation?

Just kind of wondering what kind of experience I’ll be in for. I am thinking it’s got to be easier than the frame by frame approach of animating GIFs, especially for repetitive actions. And, if not, well, at least I will have sound now!

From your QuickTime movie create a Image sequence -
(Export / Movie to Image Sequence).

In Toon Boom Studio create an Image Element in the Exposure Sheet -
control-click(mac) the first cell and from the pop-up-menu choose import images/from file -
select all images (shift-click) and open.
Toon Boom Studio will import the whole sequence - ideal for reference.

In your Drawing Element control-click(mac) the first cell and from the pop-up-menu
choose Import Illustrator.

Cheers
Nolan

under windows it’s right click to import images into the exposure sheet.
when you animate then, be sure to have the drawing element on top of the image element (you can move the layers by dragging) and switch the light bulb on (‘L’ key).
cheers,
rob

Thanks!