my showreel after 5 months on ToonBoom

Check my work still growing, your comment will be useful : www.bongumusashabalala.blogspot.com

Hi

Very good. I suppose it’s a little bit of everything. I liked the color schemes although I felt you were not always using the schemes to contrast the characters from the background sufficiently. The Ballet dancer walk/run was not how I expected her to walk/run.

Well done.

Bob

For those interested you have to scroll down on the link and it is at the bottom (took me a while to realise, maybe i’m just slow!).

I wasn’t really that impressed you used the ballerina like it was your own (since it is a showreel!) when it is actually the one from the old animate help.

Thnx for the comments much appreciated :slight_smile:

I agree with your points Lilly, however I would like to see it labelled as such so it is clear what is your week.

If you are doing a showreel and you use a song, you would credit that, so i see it being no different if you are showing your Animating skills.

Pretty good stuff. I would now start to loosen up a little. Make everything even more cartoony!! But yer on yer way!!

We definitely don’t have a problem with that. You can use the rigs from the sample material. You’ll see this a lot with 3D, for Animation rigs specifically, that animators will use stock rigs to show their animation abilities.

In fact, if you think of it this way, if you’re applying for an animation job, it’s actually more indicative of your animation talent if you use a stock rig, and if everyone who applies uses the same rig, because then what you’re judging the person on is really their animation skills and not their character rigging skills.

That’s why you’ll see studios often make you take an “animation test” on one of their rigs, to really see how you do in that scenario.

But if you’re advertising the reel as a character rigging reel instead of an animation reel, then it’s not really honest.

Just my 2 cents. :slight_smile:

~Lilly