MY MOVIES PLAYBACK SPEED IS WAY TO FAST

WEN IVE FINISHED A MOVIE/FLASH I CLICK PREVIEW MOVIE THE PLAYBACK SPEED IS WAY TOO FAST AND I DONT HAVE A CLUE HOW TO SLOW IT DOWN IM NEW TO TBS SO PLZ HELP ME I WANNNA SHOW THEM OFF TO MY FRENDZZZ :smiley:

Hi,

The simplest way to slow your animation would be to change the frame rate of the animation. You can do that by going in File>Animation properties and lower the frame rate. Although if you want to keep your current frame rate what you could do is extend the exposure of the elements that are on your scene. You can do that by using the Set exposure feature of the drawing element (right click after having selected drawing elements on the timeline or the Xsheet then do either Set Exposure or Extend Exposure).

Hope this will be of some help to you.

Best regards,

Ugo

fanx i wil try that out chhers :wink:

can i just say what would be the optimised speed for a kung fu fighting flash movie that lasts around 5 mins??
regards, sonny

Here are some animation basics to help you better understand how to create your movie. You want to start by setting a frame rate for the entire movie. Most people use 24 frames per second (FPS). It is pretty much a standard. So you do that inside your animation properties dialogue. From the command menu File>Animation Properties.

OK, now all your timing calculations can be made now that you have established your frame rate. So you asked about a 5 minute movie. That translates into 5 min x 60 sec/min= 300 seconds that translates into 300 sec X 24 fps=7200 frames. That’s the total length of your 5 min movie.

You breakdown individual actions inside your movie the same way. If an action should last 1 second on the screen it will require 24 frames. If it only lasts a 1/4 of a second then it only takes 6 frames. If it lasts 2-1/2 seconds that would be 60 frames. You just convert time in seconds to frames using 24 frames per second as your conversion factor.

Now for slow movements you can hold a frame 2 or 3 exposures between drawing changes while for faster action you may change drawings every frame. Those are the basics, welcome to the fun world of animation. -JK

i usually use a 25 fps rate (pal, the european standard).
i have thus no problems to animate fast movements, if required, and for slow movements the frame exposures get then bigger, up to 3 or 4 same frames in a sequence.

for a fight scene i would personally take 25 fps on 1s (each frame different) or 30 fps (if ntsc), then you’d get smooth antagonists’ movements.
it’s definitely more work but the effects are much better.
cheers,
rob

update:
as for a fps rate change in the animation properties → one must watch out the soundtrack: it has to be deleted and imported a-new in order to be in sync with the art.

Great input, Rob, thanks. Whatever frame rate the animator chooses 24 FPS, 25 FPS, 30 FPS or even 12 FPS is matter of personal choice, the important thing here is that they first establish their chosen frame rate for their movie and then they can calculate all their timing using their chosen frame rate as the conversion factor. They don’t want to change their frame rate after they start animating because that will directly effect all of the timing calculations, so choosing the frame rate before starting is highly recommended. Of course it helps if the chosen frame rate can be subdivided into whole frames for typical time increments because you can’t use fractions of a frame. Also, higher frame rates are better for movies that will include sound on the web, so given the choice between 12 FPS or a higher rate such as 24, 25, or 30 FPS it is always better to choose one of the higher rates.

Many people shy away from higher frame rates thinking that they automatically mean that they will have to make more drawings because of the additional frames per second. As Rob pointed out, exposing each drawing for multiple frames (2, 3, even 4) works very nicely for most actions. Only really fast actions like throwing a punch or a really fast head turn during a take requires animating on single frames. -JK