Multiple colour palettes are mixing up

So I have 2 characters that I have created as templates (so I can use them across different projects). They both have slightly different skin colour, however when I bring them both onto the stage in my animation, they both switch to the same skin colour.

I tried selecting the incorrect coloured character to switch his colour palette back to where it should be but it switches for both characters.

I also realised that on the palettes the colours are both labelled the same (skin), so I changed their name but still have the same problem.

Any ideas how to fix this ( or avoid it in the future)?

Yeah, I just ran into the same issue. Were you able to find a solution?

Toon Boom uses a colour palette system, where colours have an ID under the hood of the software. When you colour 2 different characters with the same colour palette, then both characters are linked to the same colours. So if you change the colour for one, it changes it for both.

The best way to circumvent this is to create a Clone of the palette you’re working on, which is like a copy but a copy that remembers the regions you’ve already painted. Then adjust the colours on the clone.

Now, on the character you want to apply the new cloned palette on, attach a Colour Override effect. Then drag the Clone palette into the Palette Override section.

Check this Tip video:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFBF9D762D9119163

~Lilly

did u solved???

Thanks for your response…

But as some general feedback, I found this to be quite problematic. Having background templates, character templates, objects etc etc. So many elements coming together onto one scene opens up a host of new problems (one of which I mentioned above).

Ironically the only way I could “fix” this issue was to create a single master palette that I used for every character/background/object. I used that single palette for everything so that no matter there would be no confusion over colour.

This was the only way I could think of fixing it.

It is definitely something that toon boom developers need to pay attention to, and IMO simplify in the future.