multiple cameras?????

i want to add some different effects to my animation and i was wondering why you can have multiple cameras and how you can switch from one camera to another one.

To add a camera select Element>Add>Camera. On a Mac you can add a Camera List toolbar button to your toolbar by clicking View>Customize Toolbar and dragging the Camera List button to your toolbar. On a pc, I believe the drop-list appears in the Scene View toolbar.

Ron

How can you jump between the cameras in the output? ie after 10seconds of camera 1 switch to the scene view in Camera 2?

Ahhh…I see you can’t and have to use key frames linked to motion tools to do that.

As rishistar said you cant do it. This is one of the bad things about tb, you can create as many cameras as you like BUT you can only use 1 of them for the final render so basically the others are useless! I dont know why they do this but there must be a reason…

Chris.

I’m new to Toon Boom, but this is something that I’ve been trying to grapple with, as I have a dialogue between two characters where I want to keep hopping back and forth between close ups of the two.

It seems to me that trying to switch camera positions using a motion peg is rather cumbersome. For each change of camera postion, one needs to create two adjacent keyframes in the peg at the point of change, and then move them to different positions. This is OK for one change, but for hopping back and forth can be impractical because one location on the screen can have lots of keyframes at it. I haven’t yet found how to access the offset parameters from a menu, however - if I could this would become more practical.

The other approach seems to be to regard each camera change as a separate scene. This has other drawbacks, though, such as not being able to make a single change to the scene background that applies through the whole dialogue, or not being able to play a sound file that runs behind the whole dialogue (at least, not without some jiggery pokery, breaking it up into sections for each scene).

Are there any other approaches one could use? Is this something that will be improved in the next version of TB?

you don’t have to make separate scenes, it’s enough to change views, displaying the one, or the other character in the camera view in the same scene (say, the one to the left, the other one to the right of the display window). thus you could use the same background image in the second plan, and also to have your sound displayed without any need to break it up into pieces.
rob

Rob,

Thanks. Yes, that’s a very good (third) technique that gets over most of the drawbacks of the two I described.

The only potential outstanding problem would be that the background positioning would be identical between the two. But I could get around that by having two background elements - the second a copy of the first but moved to the left or right as appropriate. Then, as I display/hide each character, I could also display/hide the two versions of the background as well.

This would be much better than having separate scenes.

Thanks.

Steve

steve,
i would make only one background, and try to display your characters close to each other in terms of the background proximity. nobody would ever realize that the one char simply and strangely ‘disappears’ from the position it would normally be supposed to appear, standing beside the other char.
wish you luck with your project :slight_smile:
rob

I was thinking about the multiple camera issue and Toon Booms Inability to render from more than one camera in the same go.

Would it make sense to animate the scene with multiple cameras set up, then render out specific frames with specific cameras active? Of course this method would require post production to compile the speperate clips. But it would surely be more efficent than having a scene per camera cut?

May I ask gester a question?

I created 3 separate elements in the x-sheet (Drawing View) occupying 20 frames: object1, object2, and a background.
I then switch to the timeline (in Scene View) and add 2 new “Color Transform” elements (layers).
I attach 1 object to each Color Transform layer.
On the first frame of each Color Transform layer I use the “transform points” to set their transparency: On one layer I set the Additive Alpha slider to -255 the other layer I set to +255. This gives me 1 object with my background.
At some point along the timeline I add another set of “transform points” (using the + button in the properties panel) to each layer and reverse the slider positions (in fact it needs two points: one to hold the current value and one to set a new value). This gives me the 2nd object with the same background.
This can then be repeated as many times as you like along the timeline.

I used this method to flip between two characters in the same scene using the same dialogue.

Was this what you meant when you said:

Or was it another method?

no, bruxist, you’re referring to the pegged character outline color transform, and this is a rather complicated technique to select what you want to see in the scene.

i was referring to a very simple trick: it doesn’t matter, what do you have in the scene, the camera view is all that matters: i meant only the re-draw (or move) the character to have it visible in the camera view in the next shot.

in other words: draw the char #1 in the frames, say, 1-50, then the char #2 in the frames 51-120, then copy (or re-draw) the char #1 into the next frames 121-200, then copy (or re-draw) the char #2 into the frames 201-250, a.s.o.

personally, i’m a traditionalist and i would draw the character a-new, adding new emotional expression to his features.
cheers,
rob

ah, as for the backgrounds: you could use one background position for the character #1, and then use an another background section for the char #2 (remember, you should then swap the background images for each char)

if you have drawn backgrounds (a drawing element) then it would be enough to position one char to the left, looking to the right (the other one invisible), then the other one on the right side, looking to the left, while the first one is then off-screen.

Many thanks gester

Learning loads already thanks to all you guys and the Forum…